Ctrl+a then Ctrl+c

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Ctrl+a then Ctrl+c

Post by 56G80S »

I don't know if anyone else has suffered from entering a post and clicked on submit only to find that you've either timed out or dropped off the net.

While in your new post, press Ctrl + a, this will highlight the entire post, then press Ctrl + c. This copies the highlighted text to the clipboard.

If the unfortunate thing happens, open a new post reply and press Ctrl + v and your work is copied over from the clipboard into your post.

Some other shortcut keys don't work in the forum text editor though.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Re: Ctrl+a then Ctrl+c

Post by alanjennings »

Very frustrating it has happened to me always when I have managed to write more than one sentence! Whether I can follow your instructions is another matter,John!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You can also save a draft as you write by using the website 'Save draft' facility........
Draft (640x241).jpg
I haven't done so as on W10 I can right click my mouse and choose 'Select all' then 'Copy' which saves all the incomplete message text to my clipboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid

I'm just like to use the shortcut keys rather than mouse when I can. That's probably not a shortcut for you in terms of hand usage. I've never experimented with voice options and I think it's about time I did.

Not in your position yet, Sprid, but I now use the mouse with my left hand (this last year or more) as I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist. Recently started "tennis elbow" in my left elbow. Fortunately neither as severe as they might be.

Joy!

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:Sprid
I just like to use the shortcut keys rather than mouse when I can. That's probably not a shortcut for you in terms of hand usage.
Very perceptive of you John. Yep, I was right-handed but now have no option but to use the mouse and keyboard (and corkscrew) left-handed. With many functions on the laptop it's a question of continuing with (sometimes old) habits and familiarity, e.g. resizing and posting photos which I do without thinking, but when trying to describe the process to someone else it takes concentration to extract the details from the brain's operating software .
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

SPRIDDLER wrote:.... the brain's operating software .
For the geeks amongst us, this is often referred to as "wetware"
:D
Corners like a Lego man
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Where is the time-out setting, and how long is it? I doubt it's more than 30 minutes. Does it have to be this short?

-Knut
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

mdt-son wrote:Where is the time-out setting, and how long is it?
The time limit is set on our server and is currently 5 minutes.

So when using the Forum or the Membership system, if you don't click any buttons for more than 5 minutes you will be automatically disconnected behind the scenes. A time limit of this nature is designed to prevent the system filling up with connections (not only from members, but guests and internet search engines) and thus reducing the capacity and speed of our system.

If you think it will take more than 5 minutes to reply to a thread on the Forum, I would advise that you use a simple Word processor (Windows Notepad would be fine) in which to compose your reply, then you can simply cut and paste into the Forum when you are ready.
Corners like a Lego man