1960 G12 knee grips

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
electrajohnt

1960 G12 knee grips

Post by electrajohnt »

I would like to get new rubber knee grips, the ones I have are cracked and rock hard, and slightly deformed, to the extent I can't get them on the plates.
I have seen them at £59 a pair. This seems expensive, are there alternative suppliers, your help would be appreciated.
JohnT
JohnT
Mick D

Re: 1960 G12 knee grips

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you do a search on the subject you'll see you have two options: pay the money and be satisfied, go cheap and then pay the money at a later date.

Steve at AMC Classic explained the difference when I asked him a similar question a few years ago - basically the cheap ones don't fit.

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

Try softening them up in hot water to enable an easier fit. Even if they are a bit aged in appearance they will look right for the bike. :)
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi John;
get in touch with jeff hunter engineering , he does proper reproduction knee grips for british bikes etc , he will supply you with high quality replacements and they will be as original spec .
if they have internal bonded steel plates , he will be making them the same .

i have just ordered some new knee grips for my 1954 ariel NH which were only made for the one year productuion and jeff makes them , £53 a pair plus £5 post inclusive of vat .

it does take a few weeks turnaround but jeff is 100% .

he goes to a lot of the shows etc , they call him "rubber man"

ian