Ernie Merryweather - Sad news

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
lawrence

Ernie Merryweather - Sad news

Post by lawrence »

I am very sorry to bring you the news that Ernie Merryweather passed away over the weekend. He was in hospital for treatment following a heart attack. He had recovered from the heart attack and was preparing to go home. Unfortunately whilst there he contracted Covid and died within three days.

A smashing guy who will be sorely missed.
Reynard24

Re: Ernie Merryweather - Sad news

Post by Reynard24 »

Very sad news indeed. Ernie was one of life's true gentlemen and a font of knowledge on our machines. His tenure as spares scheme supremo led to the current success and popularity it now enjoys. I always enjoyed talking to Ernie when he ran the spares scheme and the wobbly bike shop both at Irthlingborough and then Kettering and later at the Kettering open days.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That's very sad and very annoying, Ernie was recovering only to get struck down by something else. I was lucky to get out in January, after being asked if I had considered end of life support. When I passed out in the garden during the summer Jan called an ambulance. I had to go in hospital, I said no way. The crew stayed for well over an hour treating me until my blood pressure etc. was below the danger levels. Ernie was winning only to be cruelly taken from us. Same way my Mother was taken. I therefore have deep feelings for his family.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Very sad to hear that. Ernie was one of the good guys.
Dave.
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

More terrible news at the end of an awful year.

Ernie was the first club officer I had dealings with after joining the club. A true gentleman who always had time to talk and explain to a novice like me what I should look out for and how to fix problems. I bought a number of bikes from Ernie over the years and also sold 2 to him. I always got a fair deal, whether buying or selling.

It's awful to know that this hideous virus has claimed another life, particularly such a nice guy as Ernie.

I shall remember him fondly and always appreciate his kindness.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Very sad news. I never met Ernie but spoke to him many times when I phoned the spares scheme for parts, I always had not just the parts but help and knowledgeable advice. Another link to good times has left us.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

The ONE AND ONLY .
Ernie Merryweather how we owe so much to him .
Over the years he had been the Centre of all club spares and infomation .
So sad , now us who new him must fell as if the the Heart of the club is missing .
I am sure all us member,s feel for the family .
Rest in Peace .
r w webb
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Very sad news. My condolences goes out to his family.

I may have met Ernie once. Can someone please post a picture of him from the days he was instrumental for the Owners Club?

-Knut
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

mdt-son wrote:Can someone please post a picture of him ...
This picture was taken in 2018 at the Jampot rally of that year.
Ernie_Merryweather.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Corners like a Lego man
classic55

Post by classic55 »

Very sad news about Ernie. I first met Ernie when he had the wobbly bike shop about 1998 or 99. Some years later I put an add in jampot to sell it a 55/20, Ernie also had an add looking for 55/20 I sold him the bike.I last spoke to Ernie at the Rushden jampot. A true gentleman.
Alfie Blair.