General purpose topics/chat goes in here
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Steven bell and I live in Ottawa Canada. I am not new to british bikes but new to Matchless. Last year I picked up a 1955 matchless g80cs not sure why :headbang: Engine number is 55G80s2062c and the frame number is 5822c I was told the numbers belonged together. I am almost finished a 1958 fanny B m83 trials bike. It's too cold to keep working on that - 10 this morning so I thought I would sneak some matchless parts into the basement and start on it.
Cheers
Steven
SPRIDDLER

Re: New member

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Steven.
You can get dating info, usually frame, engine and original g/box numbers and perhaps more (e.g. the dealer to whom it was shipped new) from the club's factory records.
Have a look here:

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Welcome, Steve.
You can get dating info, usually frame, engine and original g/box numbers and perhaps more (e.g. the dealer to whom it was shipped new) from the club's factory records.
Have a look here:

There aren't many records for the CS singles, they're few and far between. 1952-54 is the best period we have after that it becomes patchy.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote:
Have a look here:

There aren't many records for the CS singles, they're few and far between. 1952-54 is the best period we have after that it becomes patchy.
Ah, I didn't notice that it's a G80CS.
(I was still in shock at the news that I'll be going from Tier 2 to Tier 4 on Boxing Day. Grim, innit :( ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:
Have a look here:

Ah, I didn't notice that it's a G80CS.
(I was still in shock at the news that I'll be going from Tier 2 to Tier 4 on Boxing Day. Grim, innit :( ).
Certainly is, we'll be in Tier 4 as well, bloody good job I'm a miserable bugger otherwise I may miss friends! :rofl: :rofl: (No comment needed from you Duncan!) :rofl:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There may not be factory records for all AMC machines in particular Compt. models. However, there is machine dating information acceptable by the DVLA as factual. So the club Dating Officer can confirm year of manufacture of frame & engine numbers.
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

Thanks for the dating info if I remember correctly I tried and the records are not available.
Well I have started to take the rear wheel apart to inspect the parts how hard can it be. Well :headbang: I took the wheel into the basement went to remove the spacer on the speedodrive side NOT it's rusted to the shaft I used heat and everything else I could think of no go.I ended cutting it off and I am working on the rest of it. I don't think the spindle has been out since it was installed in 55. I took the old tire off and removed the old red inner tube. First question is should the spindle not push out from the brake side? From what I have been reading should this be a QD hub? I think this is going to be a long job it's a good thing winter is 6 months long :beer: and lots of it I think. Any help will be greatly appreciated HELP.
CHEERS
Steven
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

29748 wrote:Thanks for the dating info if I remember correctly I tried and the records are not available.
Well I have started to take the rear wheel apart to inspect the parts how hard can it be. Well :headbang: I took the wheel into the basement went to remove the spacer on the speedodrive side NOT it's rusted to the shaft I used heat and everything else I could think of no go.I ended cutting it off and I am working on the rest of it. I don't think the spindle has been out since it was installed in 55. I took the old tire off and removed the old red inner tube. First question is should the spindle not push out from the brake side? From what I have been reading should this be a QD hub? I think this is going to be a long job it's a good thing winter is 6 months long :beer: and lots of it I think. Any help will be greatly appreciated HELP.
CHEERS
Steven
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

Check your parts list, link above. It seems all models had the same QD hub. 1955 was a one year only rear wheel. First year of a full width hub. There's a good chance you may not have the correct wheel. Remember you will only get answers referring to the correct part. what ever it may be on your bike. So you must first confirm you have the correct parts. it is usually the stepped spacer that get seized on the spindle. Too late now you have cut the spindle. You do need patience dismantling parts. pares may not be available.
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

It looks like I have the proper rear wheel and it looks like I can get the parts
Thanks
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

As people can see I have had a problem with logins Eamonn has been very patient with me and very helpful big thanks to Eamonn.
So after getting the bearings and the spindle out it looks like I have a bent shaft and some other rusted parts. I have gut a stainless steel rim from Mike at Walridge here in Canada.i think I will also replace the spokes with stainless ones. Any help or advice would be of great help.i have built BSA Norton Ariel and Francis Barnett wheels but this one seems way-over engendered .And no it was not me who bent the spindle.
And again a big thanks to Eamonn