Christmas Day chemistry

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chappers1962

Christmas Day chemistry

Post by chappers1962 »

With the traditional few drinks down the pub before Christmas Dinner not an option, I had to entertain myself for several hours before the Turkey and sprouts were on the table. Nothing on TV so went on Youtube and learned how to Nickel plate at home. White vinegar, a bit of salt, an old laptop power supply, a AA battery power pack (4x AA batteries), an old Jar, copper wire and Nickel strip my Son bought from ebay for £12, I was set to transform some dull bits of metal on my Matchless. I had replaced most nuts and bolts during restoration as I wanted the bike to look relatively new (but wasn't going the full concourse route), however, I wished I had saved hard earned money and plated the originals myself.

Full details of how to do it are on youtube, so I would recommend any budding home chemist to have a go and bling the bike up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steven bell

Re: Christmas Day chemistry

Post by steven bell »

I have been playing with this idea for the last few months as I can't find someone close. I have looked on YouTube it seems everyone has a different way but mainly the same. Can you post a link to the site you used?
Cheers
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

steven bell wrote:I have been playing with this idea for the last few months as I can't find someone close. I have looked on YouTube it seems everyone has a different way but mainly the same. Can you post a link to the site you used?
Cheers
There are lots of Youtube methods, some complicated and some simple. For small items such as nuts and bolts, I used a technique my son taught me before Xmas dinner and its certainly works a treat with good results every time. The credit goes to him as he refurbishes antique wrist watches for a hobby and the results he gets now is near perfect, but seems to work really well for small items on the Matchless.

Instead of sending a link, I'll describe our approach, which I'm sure can be improved on, but for your first attempt to get the hang of it, is good enough:

Stage 1. Electrolyte

- Pour white vinegar into a large jar and add a small amount of salt.
- Use Nickel Strips for the Anode and Cathode (Bought of Ebay - 99.6% Pure Nickel strip 8mm x 0.15mm), and hook on the lip of the jar so the Anode and Cathode are opposite each other in the solution
- Connect the Anode and Cathode to a power source. For this stage we used an old laptop power supply.
- You will get bubbles from the negative side
- Stir now and again, leaving the power on for around 1 hour. It should go faint green. Note - the more you use the electrolyte, the better it gets.

Stage 2 - Prep of metal
- Remove all rust, dirt and oil. The metal needs to be bright so don't skimp on this stage. For the best possible surface finish, buff the item up to remove surface imperfections. The better the prep, the better the finish.
- Completely degrease - I used Meths as it doesn't leave a residue. Apparently, lighter fuel is good, but i've not tried it.

Stage 3 - Plating
- We used a different power supply here - 4x AA in a cheap holder.
- Connect a strip of Nickel to the Positive
- Using copper wire, suspend the item in the jar using for example a pencil sitting across the jar top, and connect to the negative terminal
- Bubbles should be seen coming from the item being plated. Don't breath in the gas as its Chlorine (although I told the over cautious wife it was air)
- Continually agitate the solution whilst plating. This is a bit boring after you've done it several times, but you can automate this stage with a home made agitator (see youtube).
- For small items, we found 20 to 30mins was all thats necessary
- Suggest replace the nickel strip regularly otherwise you'll get a load of sediment at the bottom of your electrolyte
- Our solution was at room temp. But for bigger set-ups suggest use a heater and thermostat.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Though Nickel Plating doesn't at the moment come within my "To Do" horizon, I read this with great interest ..

As I understand it, items are normally Copper plated first to give a better base for the Nickel and also provides some anticorrosion benefit.

I was wondering if the same method could be used for an initial plate of copper using the vinegar as an electrolyte with pieces of copper?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Love it, love it, love it! Do you change the nickel strips every time meaning does the electrolite have a maximum shelf life? :beer: :beer: :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
chappers1962

Christmas Day chemistry

Post by chappers1962 »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Love it, love it, love it! Do you change the nickel strips every time meaning does the electrolite have a maximum shelf life? :beer: :beer: :beer:
I change the strip after 40 mins plating, which does help to extend the electrolyte. The more you use the electrolyte, the better it gets, but need to avoid letting the strip disintegrate too much as the sludge I understand, spoils the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by chappers1962 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chappers1962

Christmas Day chemistry

Post by chappers1962 »

Taid wrote:Though Nickel Plating doesn't at the moment come within my "To Do" horizon, I read this with great interest ..

As I understand it, items are normally Copper plated first to give a better base for the Nickel and also provides some anticorrosion benefit.

I was wondering if the same method could be used for an initial plate of copper using the vinegar as an electrolyte with pieces of copper?
If I were doing large items, I would copper plate first. The same process would apply.

For nuts and bolts, I wouldn't bother with copper.

I find the whole process quite therapeutic, stirring the alchemy solution for the required 20 mins, whilst I hum , “I've got the Tier 4 blues”.

chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

If the finish is a bit dull, ie if you haven't stirred it enough, just give it a quick go on the buffer wheel and it comes out like Chrome.

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

chappers1962 wrote:If the finish is a bit dull, ie if you haven't stirred it enough, just give it a quick go on the buffer wheel and it comes out like Chrome.
Hi

I used a similar process to replate, (zinc), the majority of the fasteners on my T160V. The method I followed didn't require agitation of the electrolyte and the bright finish was obtained by a quick rub with a brass, (suede), brush. It also recommended lower voltage and current, I used 3V at 0.5A from a variable DC supply. The DIY plating saved more than enough to cover the cost of the supply.

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

chappers1962 wrote:
If I were doing large items, I would copper plate first. The same process would apply.

For nuts and bolts, I wouldn't bother with copper.

I find the whole process quite therapeutic, stirring the alchemy solution for the required 20 mins, whilst I hum , “I've got the Tier 4 blues”.
Thank you C .. .. all good gen .. thread saved in my Favourites just in case ..

T
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987