Christmas Day chemistry

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chappers1962

Re: Christmas Day chemistry

Post by chappers1962 »

Mick D wrote:
chappers1962 wrote:If the finish is a bit dull, ie if you haven't stirred it enough, just give it a quick go on the buffer wheel and it comes out like Chrome.
Hi

I used a similar process to replate, (zinc), the majority of the fasteners on my T160V. The method I followed didn't require agitation of the electrolyte and the bright finish was obtained by a quick rub with a brass, (suede), brush. It also recommended lower voltage and current, I used 3V at 0.5A from a variable DC supply. The DIY plating saved more than enough to cover the cost of the supply.

Regards Mick
Talking to my son who I learned the technique from, agitation creates an even finish. For nuts and bolts, just need to stir it every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Great stuff. I read / watched about an electrolytic process for rust removal as well and plan to have a go with that but other more important things, apart from even the motorcycles on hand.

Inadequate use of handbrake, didn't put the car in gear as I usually do and rolled into the back of a van. Need to get the headlights replaced (Rover club member £230 for the refurbished pair including postage; in contrast £255 each new+post) and get the bumper re-sprayed.

Christmas Eve. HO ho ho.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Expensive xmas then, John!happy new year and hope to see you and your bike back on the road in 2021, keep safe everybody!
Alan [Morini] Jennings