Flood damage..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Jdraper

Flood damage..

Post by Jdraper »

On Christmas eve, our local river flooded putting my garage under 3 ft of water... House was OK, but the AJS was in water up to the top of the magneto. I have drained out the water in the carb, magneto, crankcase & gearbox & left it to dry for a few days. Turns over OK, but there is no spark. Could the mag be ruined? Just freshly rebuilt by Dave Lindsley :cry: ..

If I can get the engine running, do I need to strip it & the gearbox, or should I just put in fresh oil and take it for a long ride to dry everything inside.!

Fortunately most of the spares are oily and have dried out, but its a mess...

Jeremy
Looking forward to a better 2021...
Flood 24 Dec 2020.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: Flood damage..

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The mag should still be OK, lack of spark is probably down to trapped water. I'd remove all brushes and the points cover, spray liberally with WD40, (avoid the bearings), and blow through with an airline, (reduce the pressure to around 40psi). Give the wiring and plug the same treatment and you should get your sparks back.

Drain the sump, gearbox and primary case, refill the primary and gearbox and go for a half hour ride. On return change all of the oils.

Should be OK if run regularly for the next few weeks.

Keep an eye on the wheel bearings and secondary chain for a while.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

This happened to me a few years ago so I feel for you. I agree with Mick to change the oils and give it a run`, then change again. Also drain the crankcase as water may have gone up the breather. I didn't do this as I had a lot to do (the whole house was flooded as well). I thought I'd just clean out the chaincase but some time later the bike began to make noises and when I stripped it the outer main bearing was rusty. If I'd had the time to run it etc it would've been OK. I think getting it running and hot to burn off any water is the key. Good luck with it.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There will be water in the primary chain case so drain that. You will soon discover if theres water in the engine and gear box, so check them. Water will come out first, if oil starts to come out first I would assume there's no need to drain. Just check oil in tank and gearbox oil does not go frothy. Back in the 50's I regularly had to ride through floods to work, water up to the carb. Sometimes the bike stopped, I'd lay the bike over to drain the mag, dry the points, plug lead etc. the bike would start. First time this happened to me on my 1937 350 AJS back in the 50's. I thought I was in real trouble. The bike stopped in floods at the bottom of a long very steep hill. It was very hard work pushing the bike up that hill. When I got to the top I gave the bike a kick and was surprised it started first kick. It was some time later I discovered the primary chain case oil was a frothy rust colour. I was only 16 then and still had a lot to learn.
P.S. Dave, I had main bearings go rusty when standing over winter. So that can happen without going through floods,
clive

Post by clive »

Tough luck, but its unlikely the mag is ruined, just needs drying out. This advice above all sounds good. Don't forget, if you do ride round to warm it all out once the mag is dried out, that any salt on the roads will soon damage the spokes and aluminium if left uncleaned once you are back. A good spray all over with WD40 before you go out helps a lot.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Best wishes in getting it sorted. My lock up "flood" once but that was only an inch or two deep and still a nuisance. I don't envy you.

Johnny B
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Take the magneto off and remove the points cap, put it in the oven at maximum 60 centigrade for a couple of hours, or on top of the boiler. Don't forget to clean the points.
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

Well, after a week or so in the airing cupboard, the magneto is still dead with horribly notchy bearings. It had been an inch or so under water for over 24hrs. I will see what my insurance company makes of the situation.. Water came up to the underside of the seat.

Jeremy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not cooked it and melted the shellac on the armature have you ?
clive

Post by clive »

bearings are cheap enough to replace. Have you cleaned the points with fine sandpaper? Also clean the slip ring below the pick up. Is it an N1? Take the label off and check the earthing brush. If you are taking it apart dont forget to remove the gap pin from underneath or you will damage the slip ring.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix