Driving Licence photo renewal

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Driving Licence photo renewal

Post by 56G80S »

Hi All

On another website I saw this "Having sent off my license for the obligatory 10 year photo upgrade".

I was unaware of a requirement. I've been on the GOV.UK site and can't see reference to a requirement.

Have I missed something?

Johnny B
alanjennings

Re: Driving Licence photo renewal

Post by alanjennings »

Once you reach 70 you have to renew every 3 years anyway, they do occasionally ask for a fresh photo or they can link in to your existing passport photo. John,do not use your xmas photo!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I've just done mine for 76, once again I could find no reference to motorbikes on the on-line form. I know in the past there have been cases of motorcyclists (and HGV drivers) losing their entitlement, I don't know if this still happens but it would be nice if the on-line system told you what you were agreeing to. It did ask if I wanted to maintain the right to drive 16 seat minibuses or lorries up to 5 ton (requires a medical) and said if declined they would issue “car driving licence only”. So now I have to wait for the licence to come to make sure it is correct.
Stan
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I have renewed my license three times online and the motorcycle entitlement has always remained on the replacement, so I expect that it will remain on yours.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Stan Palmer wrote:I know in the past there have been cases of motorcyclists (and HGV drivers) losing their entitlement, I don't know if this still happens but
I've renewed with no prob but I've read elsewhere about requesting a replacement on account of the expiring one having been 'lost'.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
jimh

Post by jimh »

Just seen the post from JohnnyB, and realised I have not had a reminder from DVLA to renew my licence when I was 76 a couple of weeks ago, I had one at 70 and again at 73 so why not now I don't know, will be sorting it today but just wonder how many others could get caught out.

With regard to losing the motorcycle entitlement, I seem to remember a few years ago that people were getting renewed licences back and the motorcycle element was missing, the advice was to photocopy your licence before sending it off.

Panic over, just seen on DVLA website that licences expiring up to 31/12/20 are to be automatically renewed for 11 months due to the Covid crisis.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid

Yep, I "lost" my paper licence when I got a photo licence just in case. The irony is that I frequently lose these items.

So no need to destroy Swansea with that Christmas photo at which point I had just turned 68 and have had the photo licence for more than 10 years.
Johnny Banks at Christmas .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

There's an expiry date on the front (obscurely labelled "4b."). Photo licenses are only valid for 10 years.
driving-licence.jpg
They don't remind you it's expired, so it catches a lot of people out...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Clanger - Top Notch, will investigate when I find it. - Johnny B

Edit - I'm OK until 2022!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

over 70's renew their licence every three years. I do this on line in a few minutes, they use your pass port picture.
I am sure there is one question that I was not able to tick an answer. Just left it blank.