Brexit - and travelling in EU countries

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanjennings

Re: Brexit - and travelling in EU countries

Post by alanjennings »

You only need 1 idp-lasts for 3 years or the date when your current licence expires.Why Neville bought 2 I can't imagine! You will need separate trailer insurance I beiieve.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a card driving licence issued in the UK.

You might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have either:

a paper driving licence
a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man"

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/inter ... ing-permit

Nonetheless, I suppose it doesn't hurt to have one..............................................?

JohnnyB
Last edited by 56G80S on Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanjennings wrote:You only need 1 idp-lasts for 3 years or the date when your current licence expires.Why Neville bought 2 I can't imagine!
When I was planning the trip I looked on our Gov't website which advised obtaining an IDP as there was a strong possibility that the requirement was about to be imposed on UK licence holders. The first time I went to the post office the lady said she'd run out of them as there'd been a high demand. When I returned a couple of days later she asked me which countries I was visiting and when I told her France and Germany she said I'd need one for each country so that's what I got. I can't check the differences at the mo as they're away in the motorhome but I do recall that each IDP has a different document reference.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'