Brexit - and travelling in EU countries

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Eamonn
Webmaster

Brexit - and travelling in EU countries

Post by Eamonn »

The text below has been supplied to us by RH Insurance, however the guidance and rules will be applicable to all UK insurers. If you need any further information, please contact your insurance company direct.

The deal between the UK and the EU did not include the UK remaining in the European free circulation zone. Therefore, UK motorcyclists will need to carry a valid Green Card when riding their vehicles in EU countries. Clients may also need an International Driving Permit, should have a GB sticker on their vehicle and also carry a copy of their V5 document when riding in the EU. See https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad for full details.

The good news is, if you're insured with RH, you won't be charged a single penny in admin fees when requesting a Green Card. You can elect to receive your Green Card via email (you would need to download and print a hard copy) or post. If you select the postal option, you are asked to allow up to 3 weeks for delivery. Simply provide the RH team with details of your intended travel in EU countries either via email – rh@ers.com or call them on 0333 043 3911.
Corners like a Lego man
39speedtwin

Re: Brexit - and travelling in EU countries

Post by 39speedtwin »

So if there is an International Jampot in Germany this year I won't have to pay for my Green Card.
Thanks for posting the information Eammon.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do not recall ever paying for a green card prior to us joining euro.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'm struggling to get my head around this one. The US issues green cards for those seeking work or residence the EU issue a blue card for the same thing. For riding to an event an IDP or what is better known as an International driving license will be required. Why is there a requirement and what is a green card when it relates to the EU?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It's for vehicle insurance Rob, acts like a certificate of insurance overseas, I believe it was in several language's bit like an international driving licence. Below is probably out of date now as you will need a green card in Eu countries as we are no longer par of Eu.

What do you need to know about green card?
Driving in other countries. Outside the EU, a ‘green card' proves that your insurance covers the minimum cover in the country you're driving in. Ask your insurance company if they can issue you with one.

Is the green card compulsory?
To ensure that victims of accidents involving foreign registered vehicles are not disadvantaged. The Green Card is an international certificate of insurance proving visiting motorists have the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country visited. They are not currently compulsory for all EEA countries.

What is green card insurance?
The Green Card is an international certificate of insurance proving visiting motorists have the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country visited.
Green Card system explained - MIB

http://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/ac ... k-invol…
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I'm pretyy sure I have had a green card for travelling in Europe and rember voting to join the EEC when I was about 18 (and voting to leave the EU more recently).

Why did I request one? Memory fails but it was at no cost.

I want to know more about the IDP and will internet search it now.

Johnny B

EDIT:

"You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a card driving licence issued in the UK.

You might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have either:

a paper driving licence
a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man"

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/inter ... ing-permit
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I used to get IDP from the AA cost then I'm sure was about £1.50p. I think I got for driving in Iron curtain east euro countries.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

The green card is no longer green! Just got one for my mg.There are 2 different Id licences but hopefully we will not need one just yet or till we get new u.k. ones that may not be valid in the eu.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Back in June I got one IDP for France and one for Germany (£5.50 each over the post office counter with a photo).
I also got a Green card free from my motorhome insurer via email, although as Alan said, it's no longer green but plain white.
For obvious reasons I've not used any of those docs.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Do you have to renew the IDP annually? just wondering. I didn't realise that two different IDPs were needed to go to Germany via France for the International Jampot. Does anybody know if we must have insurance for our bike trailers when going to Europe now?