46, 500 Matchless dynamo

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve64

46, 500 Matchless dynamo

Post by Steve64 »

Hi everyone, I have a query , hoping , and I'm sure somebody will, about the correct dynamo for a 46 500 Matchless I'm restoring. I was given a Lucas E3N-L0 with the bike when I got it in boxes and was assured that everything was correct, the 70% I was given , but the parts book states that the correct one is a Lucas E3AR-AO5. Is there a difference,can I use the E3N.
I appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Steve.
Groily

Re: 46, 500 Matchless dynamo

Post by Groily »

You can. The E3N is a better instrument for having its brush end supported in a bearing mounted in the monkey-metal brush end piece, compared to a bearing in the bakelite end piece on the AR. Monkey-metal ain't great - but it is a mile better than the AR's.
Same dimensions, possibly slighter better output from the N (as much as a giddy 48W - maybe!), and very little difference visually, if any.
I'd look no further, and use what you have got, but would use a modern solid state regulator hidden in the old box.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve64 wrote:......the parts book states that the correct one is a Lucas E3AR-AO5. Is there a difference,can I use the E3N.
I appreciate any advice.
Just for info/comparison here's an E3AR-AO5 (dated June 1947).
100_1587 (640x480).jpg
100_1582 (443x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

I can attest to some cracked monkey metal on the dynamo I rebuilt on the G80CS last spring. Had to form some shaped metal ‘straps' fixed with some very nice tiny Japanese camera industry thread forming screws, acquired from my fastening company days, screwed into pilot holes. Araldite was also applied to the cracks. Seemed to come up good as new with new armature, brushes and bearings.

Iron Head
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I had the dynamo for my old 18S rebuilt by Paul Dunn at "Dynamos, Dynamos". The monkey metal bearing bracket on that was cracked. He had some replacements made that were CNC machined from billet aluminium and fitted one of those.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Thanks guys your response , has been awesome, will keep what I have and make the appropriate changes as suggested. Best thing I ever did was to join this club, so many knowledgeable people out there, thanks everyone.
Steve.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Steve64 wrote:Thanks guys your response , has been awesome, will keep what I have and make the appropriate changes as suggested. Best thing I ever did was to join this club, so many knowledgeable people out there, thanks everyone.
Steve.
It's so refreshing when replies like this come in, plus it's the main reason I do what I do. On Facebook recently the club and it's committee were called snob's and one of the worst to join. The guy when questioned said he was a member 20yrs ago but didn't like the way it was heading and left. Funny old world isn't it
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

It's so refreshing when replies like this come in, plus it's the main reason I do what I do. On Facebook recently the club and it's committee were called snob's and one of the worst to join. The guy when questioned said he was a member 20yrs ago but didn't like the way it was heading and left. Funny old world isn't it[/quote]

I hope that included me as i am quite chuffed to be call a snob :lol:
Roy
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

I suppose we all give off an aura of superiority when we are chuffing along on our old bangers.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mollbhan wrote:I suppose we all give off an aura of superiority when we are chuffing along on our old bangers.
'When' (or perhaps 'If') being the operative word.
Hants Superiors (640x480).jpg
CIMG4725 (640x480).jpg
CIMG5119 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'