Jampot January 2021

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ajscomboman

Re: Jampot January 2021

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I've suggested this before and probably will again :cry:

As all members can have access to the Forum, why not publish the E version on the first of the month, then any one who wanted access to Jampot would have it at the same time. Folk can choose to wait for the paper copy if they want or access online. The current process means online subscribers are always viewing after some paper subscribers.

Regards Mick
Ahh, but the counter argument will be why should those with a computer be able to access adverts etc quicker than hard copy members. We do our best to get it as close as possible to the postal ones.
les ward

Post by les ward »

Mine arrived today.
And I feel like I have a time machine. For me, Jan's Jampot went to the printers on 18 Dec and is now a distant memory. The bulk of Feb's is done and dusted and tonight I have been putting together ideas for the March issue.
Les
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

les ward wrote:Mine arrived today.
And I feel like I have a time machine. For me, Jan's Jampot went to the printers on 18 Dec and is now a distant memory. The bulk of Feb's is done and dusted and tonight I have been putting together ideas for the March issue.
Les
One of the perks for being Editor Les.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

ajscomboman wrote:Ahh, but the counter argument will be why should those with a computer be able to access adverts etc quicker than hard copy members.
You'd probably find the same argument was made in the early 1900's - why should those people with telephones be able to access adverts quicker than those using the postal service?

As technology changes, the early adopters of the technologies will often derive the greatest benefit. Ultimately those who don't adopt the new technology will be left behind in certain aspects of the world. Think what your life would be like without access to a telephone.... (especially during lockdown!)
Corners like a Lego man
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman wrote:Ahh, but the counter argument will be why should those with a computer be able to access adverts etc quicker than hard copy members. We do our best to get it as close as possible to the postal ones.
Errr! - Didn't Clive say adverts were already visible on the website before Jampot publication?
clive wrote:Actually it raises the question why we delay the digital mag since I do not remember the last time someone asked for their ad not to appear on the website til after the publication of the magazine, we are probably talking about 5 or 6 years ago. All digital members will be able to access the website version of the ads as soon as they are placed.
Why not simplify the process? Publish the E version in the members only section of the website and put a notification on the homepage - no need to send me an Email notification that the current issue is available to download.

Regards Mick
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Mick D wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:Ahh, but the counter argument will be why should those with a computer be able to access adverts etc quicker than hard copy members. We do our best to get it as close as possible to the postal ones.
Errr! - Didn't Clive say adverts were already visible on the website before Jampot publication?
Many years ago, the bulk of the adverts came in by post with only a few being online. The postal entries were then typed up into the website as they came in and at the end of each month a download of all the adverts was produced for the magazine. This meant that anyone who had access to the online adverts saw them before the bulk of the membership, this of course led to complaints.
Consequently there were deliberate delays put into the system to try to ensure that everyone saw the new adverts at the same time (i.e. when the magazine came through your letterbox).

Over the years, the emphasis has switched to the extent that the bulk of the adverts arrive online with a few by post. We now have the situation that when someone places their advert online, if it doesn't appear immediately we often get an email asking where it is. Usually this is from non-members as their adverts are visible to members only until 3 weeks after publication date, thus we ensure that members get priority of all adverts.

Of the 3,500 members there are just over 850 who take the digital version - so that would imply there is at least 850 members who already have access to the online adverts ahead of the paper based members. I know there are many members who have access to the website but elect to have the paper magazine, so the figure of 850 is an underestimate. In the past it has been requested that the digital version should be made available to all members (not just those who specifically ask for it), so if there was any delay in the postal service, the member could always read the online version.

Maybe it is the right time to consider the best way of distributing the digital version of the magazine....
Corners like a Lego man
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Eamonn wrote: Maybe it is the right time to consider the best way of distributing the digital version of the magazine....
Adverts or no adverts, I'd be all for an improved digital delivery system as the current one, I have to say, appears to be rather convoluted!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

It's too cold to go out even if I wanted to, but I wanted to thank everyone as my Jampot magazine has just been popped through the door.

It'll be a good read while I wait for a computer to tell my "mechanic" what's wrong with my car...

Sensors everywhere, but the principle's exactly the same as my 63 year old motorbike-suck, squeeze, bang, blow!

The fan was running flat out despite it being barely warm. I thought I'd take the easy way out and let someone else look at it as the coolant sensor is buried deep under a load of pipework. Plus the fact it's chilly out there!

They had it half a day, swapped the sensor and the fan's still running slowly all the time, not allowing it to get to temperature. I took it back and the "mechanic" didn't inspire confidence as he just plugged it in again and looked puzzled! Grr!

I'd go out on the bike if I was allowed! You have to giggle, there's far more to worry about in these odd times.

I'll enjoy reading the Jampot instead. There's even a bit of totty on the cover! :)
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plugsnpoints wrote: It'll be a good read while I wait for a computer to tell my "mechanic" what's wrong with my car...

The fan was running flat out despite it being barely warm. .......They had it half a day, swapped the sensor and the fan's still running slowly all the time, not allowing it to get to temperature. I took it back and the "mechanic" didn't inspire confidence as he just plugged it in again and looked puzzled! Grr!
I had exactly the same problem with a computer-aided mechanic at a posh dealership. In short; In three visits he replaced two sensors, fan motor assembly, fan control unit, thermostat and other bits. Total cost £800 but still not sorted.
I mentioned it over a coffee on my weekly visit to a pal, an old boy with a shabby and leaky lockup on a pig farm. He got me to open the bonnet and whilst leaning on the slam panel, thinking, his digital sensors indicated that one side of the top of the rad felt much hotter than the other.
"Crap in the rad" was diagnosed. He undid the bottom hose, stuck a hosepipe in and ran it for ten minutes, flushing out some thick reddish sludge. I never had another problem with the fan or the cooling system. I had to force a drink on him.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

The point I was making had nothing to do with the adverts. I was pointing out that if Rex was reading his Jampot hard copy why wasn't I able to read my digital one?

If I'm reading this correctly, the reason for not pressing the button is that

a) Digital readers would get an unfair advantage over reading the adverts before the hard copy readers
b) Eammon hasn't got his (no disrespect intended to you Eammon, you are ten men)
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein