This weekend's project.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Member
User avatar
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

This weekend's project.

Postby Pharisee » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Anyone who's worked on a Burman or AMC gearbox on the bench will know how awkward the effing things are. Their lumpy shape doesn't make it easy. So as I'm not allowed to go out, I thought I'd have a go at making a stand, similar to the stands that are available for engines.
This was the result. I had some rectangular tube and a pair of old engine plates, so it was just a case of putting them together. I will get the bits powder coated next time I have to visit Breckland Finishing with a box of bike parts.
John.

20210110_132548.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: UK

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby electrajohnt » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:02 pm

Hello.
Could I ask. The brazing, I presume you did that yourself. Did you use oxy/acetylene or did you manage with some other form of heat.
Reason I ask is I have a stick welder but would like to braze lighter stuff but my accounts department doesnt run to me purchasing and hiring oxy/acetylene. All threads I read tell me that is what I need, so stumped for now.
Regards
JohnT
JohnT

Member
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:36 pm
Location: Essex UK

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby Plugsnpoints » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:59 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ajs-matchles ... SwMTpdk6Lq

I bought one of these, it works a treat on my AMC gearbox. He makes engine stands too and that was great. I don't have welding facilities. A nice fella to deal with. :)

Andy

Member
User avatar
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby Pharisee » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:50 pm

electrajohnt wrote:Hello.
Could I ask. The brazing, I presume you did that yourself. Did you use oxy/acetylene or did you manage with some other form of heat.
Reason I ask is I have a stick welder but would like to braze lighter stuff but my accounts department doesnt run to me purchasing and hiring oxy/acetylene. All threads I read tell me that is what I need, so stumped for now.
Regards
JohnT


Yes, I brazed it myself... don't look too closely. I use an Oxyturbo Turbo Set 90, but use MAPP gas instead of the usual stuff. The filler rods are 2mm, flux coated sifbronze, and they flow easily with the set-up I use. It uses oxygen at a prodigious rate, and I'm considering a Hobbygas oxygen cylinder but that will mean buying a regulator as well. It may or may not be worth it, depending on how much you're going to use the kit.

https://www.aboutroofing.com/turbo-set-90-lead-welding-lead-burning-kit.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6Or_BRC_ARIsAPzuer_dpMeI4_xnL1PCU-2K2kCGw9b9RMLKeMqbtGLi1W6WRDpYSMISuoYaAjtiEALw_wcB

Member
User avatar
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:51 pm
Location: Lincolnshire, UK

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby Pharisee » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:55 pm

Plugsnpoints wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ajs-matchless-amc-burman-b52-gear-box-work-stand/114267549666?hash=item1a9ae06fe2:g:e7QAAOSwMTpdk6Lq

I bought one of these, it works a treat on my AMC gearbox. He makes engine stands too and that was great. I don't have welding facilities. A nice fella to deal with. :)

Andy


That look a nice piece of kit, albeit something akin to a Dr Who villain. I wouldn't like to make them for that price :)

Member
User avatar
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 am
Location: HAMPSHIRE UK

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby ajscomboman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Pharisee wrote:
Plugsnpoints wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ajs-matchless-amc-burman-b52-gear-box-work-stand/114267549666?hash=item1a9ae06fe2:g:e7QAAOSwMTpdk6Lq

I bought one of these, it works a treat on my AMC gearbox. He makes engine stands too and that was great. I don't have welding facilities. A nice fella to deal with. :)

Andy


That look a nice piece of kit, albeit something akin to a Dr Who villain. I wouldn't like to make them for that price :)


I bought one of each and they do the job very well.

Member
Posts: 2503
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:44 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby Mick D » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm

electrajohnt wrote:would like to braze lighter stuff but my accounts department doesnt run to me purchasing and hiring oxy/acetylene.


Hi

I have a propane set up, torch regulator and Calor bottle, it's a lot cheaper and gets much more use than my oxy/acetylene. It will silver solder, braze and do all manner of heating jobs. My torches are Sievert - wouldn't be without them, the basic kit less the bottle was around £70.

Regards Mick

Member
User avatar
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Herts UK

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby Group Leader » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 pm

Mick D wrote:I have a propane set up, torch regulator and Calor bottle, it's a lot cheaper and gets much more use than my oxy/acetylene. It will silver solder, braze and do all manner of heating jobs. My torches are Sievert - wouldn't be without them, the basic kit less the bottle was around £70.


I could do with a decent torch, something like this Mick?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pmpx-pr ... torch-kit/

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:

Member
Posts: 2503
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:44 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby Mick D » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:15 am

Hi Alan

That's the basic kit I have and I'd recommend it to anyone. I found shopping around was very cost effective ;)

I also have a Cyclone burner - excellent addition and a very fine one for small and delicate work.

Regards Mick

Member
User avatar
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Herts UK

Re: This weekend's project.

Postby Group Leader » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:49 pm

Mick D wrote:Hi Alan That's the basic kit I have and I'd recommend it to anyone. I found shopping around was very cost effective ;)

Thanks Mick, :beer:

Shopped around, ordered for £69.99 including P & P. I could have got it cheaper but the photos and descriptions of the product were tending towards "Dodgy" lets hope the one I've gone for isn't.

Better get a gas bottle I suppose!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:

Next

Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests