This weekend's project.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Pharisee

This weekend's project.

Post by Pharisee »

Anyone who's worked on a Burman or AMC gearbox on the bench will know how awkward the effing things are. Their lumpy shape doesn't make it easy. So as I'm not allowed to go out, I thought I'd have a go at making a stand, similar to the stands that are available for engines.
This was the result. I had some rectangular tube and a pair of old engine plates, so it was just a case of putting them together. I will get the bits powder coated next time I have to visit Breckland Finishing with a box of bike parts.
John.
20210110_132548.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
electrajohnt

Re: This weekend's project.

Post by electrajohnt »

Hello.
Could I ask. The brazing, I presume you did that yourself. Did you use oxy/acetylene or did you manage with some other form of heat.
Reason I ask is I have a stick welder but would like to braze lighter stuff but my accounts department doesnt run to me purchasing and hiring oxy/acetylene. All threads I read tell me that is what I need, so stumped for now.
Regards
JohnT
JohnT
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ajs-matchles ... SwMTpdk6Lq

I bought one of these, it works a treat on my AMC gearbox. He makes engine stands too and that was great. I don't have welding facilities. A nice fella to deal with. :)

Andy
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

electrajohnt wrote:Hello.
Could I ask. The brazing, I presume you did that yourself. Did you use oxy/acetylene or did you manage with some other form of heat.
Reason I ask is I have a stick welder but would like to braze lighter stuff but my accounts department doesnt run to me purchasing and hiring oxy/acetylene. All threads I read tell me that is what I need, so stumped for now.
Regards
JohnT
Yes, I brazed it myself... don't look too closely. I use an Oxyturbo Turbo Set 90, but use MAPP gas instead of the usual stuff. The filler rods are 2mm, flux coated sifbronze, and they flow easily with the set-up I use. It uses oxygen at a prodigious rate, and I'm considering a Hobbygas oxygen cylinder but that will mean buying a regulator as well. It may or may not be worth it, depending on how much you're going to use the kit.

https://www.aboutroofing.com/turbo-set- ... tiEALw_wcB
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Plugsnpoints wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ajs-matchles ... SwMTpdk6Lq

I bought one of these, it works a treat on my AMC gearbox. He makes engine stands too and that was great. I don't have welding facilities. A nice fella to deal with. :)

Andy
That look a nice piece of kit, albeit something akin to a Dr Who villain. I wouldn't like to make them for that price :)
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote:
Plugsnpoints wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ajs-matchles ... SwMTpdk6Lq

Andy
That look a nice piece of kit, albeit something akin to a Dr Who villain. I wouldn't like to make them for that price :)

I bought one of each and they do the job very well.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

electrajohnt wrote:would like to braze lighter stuff but my accounts department doesnt run to me purchasing and hiring oxy/acetylene.
Hi

I have a propane set up, torch regulator and Calor bottle, it's a lot cheaper and gets much more use than my oxy/acetylene. It will silver solder, braze and do all manner of heating jobs. My torches are Sievert - wouldn't be without them, the basic kit less the bottle was around £70.

Regards Mick
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Mick D wrote:I have a propane set up, torch regulator and Calor bottle, it's a lot cheaper and gets much more use than my oxy/acetylene. It will silver solder, braze and do all manner of heating jobs. My torches are Sievert - wouldn't be without them, the basic kit less the bottle was around £70.
I could do with a decent torch, something like this Mick?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pmpx-pr ... torch-kit/

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Alan

That's the basic kit I have and I'd recommend it to anyone. I found shopping around was very cost effective ;)

I also have a Cyclone burner - excellent addition and a very fine one for small and delicate work.

Regards Mick
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Mick D wrote:Hi Alan That's the basic kit I have and I'd recommend it to anyone. I found shopping around was very cost effective ;)
Thanks Mick, :beer:

Shopped around, ordered for £69.99 including P & P. I could have got it cheaper but the photos and descriptions of the product were tending towards "Dodgy" lets hope the one I've gone for isn't.

Better get a gas bottle I suppose!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: