MoT update

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Harry44

MoT update

Post by Harry44 »

The MoT manual has been updated.

For headlamps it now says

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

Now my AJS never had a halogen bulb so being pedantic does that mean I can convert to LED.

Seriously if you do have an LED bulb and want an MoT you might want to swap back for the test

Cheers Harry
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Rob Harknett

Re: MoT update

Post by Rob Harknett »

My car failed an M o T as I had put LED bulbs in side lights. So they were replaced and I was given a pass cert. As well as the failed papers.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

The LED fitted to my 1946 G3L let me ride safely at night and be seen during the day unlike the main bulb is a 6 volt bulb, with double filaments, 24 watts. S.B.C
Replacement filament bulbs are 30W so get too close to the power output from the dynamo
Its unlikely to fail a MOT as it does not get one anymore

Even bicycle lights are brighter than a 24W 6V bulb, good job we are not following Europe anymore and make our own rules !

luckily it was never a halogen , so must be legal
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Harry44 wrote:The MoT manual has been updated.

For headlamps it now says

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

Now my AJS never had a halogen bulb so being pedantic does that mean I can convert to LED.

Seriously if you do have an LED bulb and want an MoT you might want to swap back for the test

Cheers Harry
Wouldn't worry about it. The regulation only applies to vehicles with halogen headlight fitment as standard. Most of our bikes are British Pre-Focus (BPF). Issue as I understand is the HIDs and LEDs retrofitted in a reflector designed for a halogen, can create dazzle.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

A lot of confusion here!I think that if you fit an led in a reflector that was not designed for it it will be a fail!If your bike is over 40 years old it is exempt from testing-but you must not dazzle oncoming traffic.I doubt that brexit will make regulations any easier as markets will have to meet international standards anyway.
Alan [Morini] Jennings