Yet another trivial question .. sticking clutch ..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

Re: Yet another trivial question .. sticking clutch ..

Postby Taid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:39 am

Pharisee wrote:
..... I stripped out the old, original, clutch plates and replaced them all, friction and plain, with Italian Surflex plates. That cured the problem, though why they should be any different, I don't know.

clive wrote:I have 3 bikes currently running with between them Burman CP and B52 boxes and 2 with AMC boxes, I don't have to free any of them.

Could sticking be due to age .. the older and more used, the plates becoming honed together so after a period pressed together all air is expelled from between and on release the vacuum hold them together ..

Just thoughts .....
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nostalgia taking over ..

Currently ..1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987

Postby SPRIDDLER » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:28 am

Taid wrote:The clutch is really tight and it takes a fair bit of effort.

The stuck plates won't make the clutch lever action heavier since the pressure plate lifts away from the plates against the springs pressure. It doesn't separate the stuck plates.
Have you over-tightened the clutch pressure plate springs? I can't say whether it would make the plates stick together more but it would make the h/bar lever action heavy and make freeing the clutch seem a bit tedious (which it really isn't as it takes only seconds and is something which I do without even thinking about it).

I adjust the pressure springs and test by putting the front wheel against a tree in the garden, engaging 1st and trying to drive ahead. You only need to be able to stall the engine when at a few hundred revs, not a fistful.

Fistfull (598x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I poke badgers with spoons.....from 2 metres.

Postby Taid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:56 am

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Taid wrote:The clutch is really tight and it takes a fair bit of effort.

The stuck plates won't make the clutch lever action heavier since the pressure plate lifts away from the plates against the springs pressure. It doesn't separate the stuck plates.

Fistfull (598x640).jpg

Hi, S.

What I meant was that the clutch took quite a bit of effort on the kickstart to break the stick .. it's not not heavy on the lever in use
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nostalgia taking over ..

Currently ..1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987

Postby bjork » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Taid, what you're describing sounds quite normal. Most of these old bikes have had their friction plates changed for all sorts of different materials by now, and some of them are more prone than others to sticking like this. I think the original cork types were less prone but still did it occasionally-old Triumph riders manuals used to recommend freeing the clutch before starting. It's not a sign of ageing or wear so don't worry about it.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today

Previous

Return to General Topics