Yet another trivial question .. sticking clutch ..

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Taid

Re: Yet another trivial question .. sticking clutch ..

Post by Taid »

Pharisee wrote:
..... I stripped out the old, original, clutch plates and replaced them all, friction and plain, with Italian Surflex plates. That cured the problem, though why they should be any different, I don't know.
clive wrote:I have 3 bikes currently running with between them Burman CP and B52 boxes and 2 with AMC boxes, I don't have to free any of them.
Could sticking be due to age .. the older and more used, the plates becoming honed together so after a period pressed together all air is expelled from between and on release the vacuum hold them together ..

Just thoughts .....
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Taid wrote: The clutch is really tight and it takes a fair bit of effort.
The stuck plates won't make the clutch lever action heavier since the pressure plate lifts away from the plates against the springs pressure. It doesn't separate the stuck plates.
Have you over-tightened the clutch pressure plate springs? I can't say whether it would make the plates stick together more but it would make the h/bar lever action heavy and make freeing the clutch seem a bit tedious (which it really isn't as it takes only seconds and is something which I do without even thinking about it).

I adjust the pressure springs and test by putting the front wheel against a tree in the garden, engaging 1st and trying to drive ahead. You only need to be able to stall the engine when at a few hundred revs, not a fistful.
Fistfull (598x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Taid

Post by Taid »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Taid wrote: The clutch is really tight and it takes a fair bit of effort.
The stuck plates won't make the clutch lever action heavier since the pressure plate lifts away from the plates against the springs pressure. It doesn't separate the stuck plates.
Fistfull (598x640).jpg
Hi, S.

What I meant was that the clutch took quite a bit of effort on the kickstart to break the stick .. it's not not heavy on the lever in use
___

bjork

Post by bjork »

Taid, what you're describing sounds quite normal. Most of these old bikes have had their friction plates changed for all sorts of different materials by now, and some of them are more prone than others to sticking like this. I think the original cork types were less prone but still did it occasionally-old Triumph riders manuals used to recommend freeing the clutch before starting. It's not a sign of ageing or wear so don't worry about it.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Taid

Post by Taid »

Not recommending this as a fix

Few days back, I made a fool of myself by dropping the AJ while parking at a cafe .. Dropped on the near (clutch) side.

Not much harm done, except to my pride.

But, when I left I found the clutch would slip when opening up in top gear (oil on the clutch?) .. bothered me somewhat, but it cleared after 5 or 6 miles and been fine since, however I now find it much easier to free the clutch after the bike has been standing. (Don't think I have suddenly gained strength)
___

clive

Post by clive »

One of our section members had recommissioned a 350 but had trouble starting it. One day it got knocked over at a petrol station and started immediately straight after. He then took to throwing it on the floor in frustration when it did not start and it always started first kick afterwards.
Problem was nailed down to too large a gap on the sparkplug and now it remains upright for starting!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Matt_in_QLD_Aus

Post by Matt_in_QLD_Aus »

re the comment ... "I use ATF in the primary"
What is ATF?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Automatic Transmision Fluid. It's a thin oil, about SAE 10 or so and works very well if you can keep it in the chaincase.
Dave.
g5 butch

Post by g5 butch »

ATF is poor chain lubricant