WhatsApp and Telegram

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

WhatsApp and Telegram

Post by 56G80S »

Hi All

I see from my various opening of WhatsApp messages that there is a move for the parent company, Facebook, to share data between the two apps.

I no longer use Facebook, expect that my account has lapsed.

I plan to transfer to Telegram ( and there's another app too, can't recall the name) that does a similar thing to WhatsApp. Needs doing before the end of January.

I currently use DuckDuckGo as my internet app. It does not retain cookies, browsing history etc. It has reduce the volume of crap that comes into my inbox.

JohnnyB
SPRIDDLER

Re: WhatsApp and Telegram

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks for the tip, John. I also find it essential to keep abreast of the latest technology.

Since I transferred to ElecTricity I get far less crap on the walls than with RushLight.

;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'

Post by 1608 »

Nice one Nev :rofl: .
I've lived in the same house for over 30yrs and only discovered last year that the original wall mounted gas light fittings upstairs (long plastered over) were still live. :shock:
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I think you're on about Signal Johnny. Elon Musk wants us all to move to it. Wonder why that is? Having looked at the new privacy agreement it appears that it only affects business whatsapping and no more data harvesting is done than when you're on Facebook or searching via Google, which is even more intrusive. Whatsapp is completely encrypted end to end and the messages couldn't be accessed by whatsapp even if they wanted to.

Data harvesting is a fact of life and I've read today that whatsapp are extending the period for "signing" so that users can fully take on board what the changes mean. Me, I'm not unduly concerned but remember that there's no such thing as a free app!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

spookefoote1956 wrote: ........ but remember that there's no such thing as a free app!
Precisely!

I hope that Fb, WhatsApp, Google etc enjoy learning about my interests. Their advertisers are not getting very rich from my purchases!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
clive

Post by clive »

They have suspended my whatsapp and facebook accounts because they feared i was organising a mass attack on the Kettering HQ.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:They have suspended my whatsapp and facebook accounts because they feared i was organising a mass attack on the Kettering HQ.
No chance of me doing anything so dynamic as for the past year I've had Polar Bear syndrome.
Nothing.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

We also use Duck Duck go and we are looking into a new email provider. I only use what's app when talking to my sister in the UK so that's about ones a month or when someone dies
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Actually Duck Duck go on its own isn't sufficient your ISP can still see the traffic. I use a VPN plus TOR plus Duck Duck go.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Spookey

"I think you're on about Signal Johnny. "

Nope, that's the other one I couldn't remember!

I'm talking about this - https://telegram.org/

Sprid - so you've been for a visit to the Weald & Downland, have you!

Johnny BG