front suspension 1954 G3LS

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Glynny

front suspension 1954 G3LS

Post by Glynny »

struggling to find the correct part numbers for a few bits the exploded front fork diagram for 1954 singles in the parts list shows the damper type mine has the set up shown in the 1954 =M= singles instruction manual page 55 illustration 17 i need

part 44 nut lock domed for fork stem
part 34 nut adjusting, for fork stem
part 22 bolt top for fork inner tube

would be a big help if anyone knows the part numbers cheers
g80csp11

Re: front suspension 1954 G3LS

Post by g80csp11 »

the good thing about the spares list for each year is that all the part No are given

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

Yes but its the wrong suspension in the 1954 spares list elsebid have the numbers its different to my forks as in the instruction manual look at the two they are different so the parts list has a different set up to the instruction manual hence the problem
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Glynny wrote:Yes but its the wrong suspension in the 1954 spares list elsebid have the numbers its different to my forks as in the instruction manual look at the two they are different so the parts list has a different set up to the instruction manual hence the problem
Would you point out what you think is the difference between the dia. in the manual and the dia. in the parts list.

EDIT......
(Ah, I see what you're saying now but the numbers in the manual are as Rob has said just a key to the item nos. in the diagram. They are not part nos.

You will find the part nos. in the 1954 Spares List page 29 here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
Fork 1954.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I don't fully understand what's being said here. Peter is referring you to the archives spares manuals where you will find a book correct for 54. You however are referring to the instruction manual. They are generic and should be used as a guide only. For the correct parts for the year you have to use the factory spares manual for that year. If the forks from a later year (say 56) then you have to use the 56 spares list, the year the forks were manufactured.
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

Thanks spriddler thats what i needed was aware the werent part no's but strugglrd to find info needed in the spares list
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Glynn, I assume you are new to the wonderful world of old AMC machines. One thing you have to be aware of is that these machines are 60+years old and have been through the hands of several owners of a (very) wide range of skills. In the 60s and 70s they were just old bikes with no real value, so they were bodged, bashed and cannibalised by cack-handed and impecunious youths to keep them on the roads - I should know, I was one of them! Now we know their value, and treat them with the respect they deserve and are left with the task of undoing years of neglect and butchery. Never assume that all the parts on your bike are correct for the year, go through them with a parts LIST and a fine-toothed comb - you never know what you may find. My '54 18S came with later 1 1/4 forks, despite being sold as 'original' with buff log book. Turned out it had been rebuilt some time in the 80s/90s. Luckily I saw this before buying, and used the resultant discount to buy a pair of the right 1 1/8 forks from our illustrious chairman who is also a well-known autojumbler. Cheers, Andy