Indian Alloy Petrol Tanks

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Andy51

Indian Alloy Petrol Tanks

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, whilst browsing flea bay today I came across a number of aluminium alloy fuel tanks for AMC machines. The models they are intended for are rather vague, and I wonder if anyone has any experience of them? Mkroyalchoppes (see link https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mkroyalchopp ... 7675.l2559) seem to be a major player in this market, and he produces one (see link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133571099839) just described as 'New Matchless Alloy Aluminium Petrol Tank'. I might be interested in one for my '54 18S but only if quality and fit are OK. I am also concerned about thread sizes and the wisdom of cutting threads direct in the alloy - the fitting bolts are easy enough to cross thread in steel. Grateful for any thoughts, Andy
Mick D

Re: Indian Alloy Petrol Tanks

Post by Mick D »

Andy51 wrote:concerned about thread sizes and the wisdom of cutting threads direct in the alloy
Hi

It all depends on what alloy it is, wonder if the manufacturer knows ;) :roll:

TBH they look nice and if I heard no adverse comments I'd probably give one a go - I'd modify it by fitting studs though to eliminate repeatedly threading fixing bolts into it.

Regards Mick
griffin

Post by griffin »

Don't forget you are liable for the import duty/taxes , which can be a sizeable cost.
And if you have any problems it's going to be difficult to return.
I bought a UK made Norton Commando tank a few years ago for not much more than an Indian made one , excellent quality.
Chris.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I bought one of their steel tanks a while ago. That fitted ok. The tank mounting threads were correct 26tpi but the badge mounting holes were metric!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I picked up an unused WD style tank very cheaply from a UK ebay seller who had had a change of plan - he told me the tank cost nearly twice what I got it for. The tank itself is very well made and quite weighty unlike some ive seen. The mountings were poorly threaded 5/16th BSF and the taps were 1/4 BSP and all needed cleaning up. It was fortunate theyd used only a first cut tap :D The inside has been sprayed with grey primer too so thatll need to be stripped before I use it. I think it can be a bit of a lottery as to whether you get a good un.

Steve
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Why not ask the club spares or Ron the chairman which supplier in india they ordered the large batch of repro tanks from. The quality looked to be pretty good and I'm sure they could give you the suppliers contact details.

Note:- Recently ordered a fuel tap from an Indian supplier. It took many weeks to arrive and was an incorrect 1/4 BSP thread fitting. Thank to Ebay I was refunded the part and carriage cost.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

I recently read an article about Girder forks from India. Some sets were ok where as others were dangerous with body filler covering up bad brazing.
I think it's the luck of the draw, it's a long way to return an item, & after paying import duty.
I avoid India, once saw a tank for a Ducati TT rep, bad, bad workmanship. I had one made by TAB in Wales for not much more than the Indian cost.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll put the idea on the back burner for the moment until or unless I see one 'in the metal' and talk to the owner. Cheers, Andy
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Has Jampot spares sold out of steel ones?
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

No, I just fancied an alloy one for its looks. Andy