Extralube ZX1

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Extralube ZX1

Post by Taid »

During gaps in activity, waiting for 'stuff' to arrive etc, I've been watching some of Allan Millyard's youtube videos ..

He makes a lot of use of ZX1 assembling his work, but doesn't actually praise it or say 'Use ZX1 .. it's the answer to your prayers'.

If the makers are to be believed its the best thing since the best thing since sliced bread, for reducing friction and wear.

Do any of youse guys use it .. what is the general opinion .. ??
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
clive

Re: Extralube ZX1

Post by clive »

Never heard of it. Quick search of the internet suggests there are strong opinions around. I would just stick Sae 50 in there and forget it. Do a forum search on say "which oil" and you will find it gives us endless fun arguing about what is best.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I used to use Graphogen but it is very expensive compared with SAE 50. Cheers. Bruce.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Does he use it as an assembly fluid?

I've never come across a specific requirement to use anything other than the system lubricant when assembling critical components - I'll continue to use copious quantities of system lube when I restore my bikes.

Regards Mick
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

everybody has a favourite , doesnt mean to say its better than another , its just personal choice .
i have tended to use STP oil treatment for assembling engines as its around 320 sae grade , you can smear it on with your finger , good for pre lube of camshaft gear and piston rings and bearing shells , you can buy it in small quantities cheaply , one bottle £6 and you can keep it and use it for all kinds of things .
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

thornebt wrote:I used to use Graphogen but it is very expensive compared with SAE 50. Cheers. Bruce.
I still do. I first came across the stuff when I bought a half race camshaft for a Ford "Essex" V6 3 litre engine from Burton Engineering. They supplied a tube with the camshaft and told me that if I didn't use it, the warranty would be void. The tubes are quite large and last a long time so in reality, the cost is negligible. I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say that it made a big difference, but it certainly didn't do any harm.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

seeing reference to STP I use Wynns friction proofing on all bearing surfaces and head bearings, just smear a little on the work piece and in the case of head bearings follow up with moby grease.
Kind regards