Powder coat v spray paint?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GeoffR

Powder coat v spray paint?

Post by GeoffR »

I'm in the very early days of a basic 350 restoration and have been thinking about the paintwork. I'm going to get the frame powder coated because I know its tough and durable but does anybody think this is suitable for the tank and tin ware...or is it too thick and 'clumpy'? I'm not looking for concours, and probably won't even take the minor dents out.

Also, I live near Stroud in Gloucestershire so can anyone recommend a powder coater locally that they have used?

Thanks
chappers1962

Re: Powder coat v spray paint?

Post by chappers1962 »

For the frame and minor Tin work, powder coating is fine. For the major bits, petrol, oil tanks, mud guards , would get it sprayed ideally in 2K as the finish is far superior. Power coating technology has improved over the years, but make sure you get it done by someone with experience of bikes, avoid those who just do park benches. I had the tank etc done by GD Design - who did a brilliant job and didn't break the bank. Mud guards, headlight shell and a few other bits I sprayed myself using 2K which I found to be really easy, but you do need the right face masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mick D

Re: Powder coat v spray paint?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you had typed 'powder coating bodywork' into the search facility you would have found my topic on the subject ;)

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... rk#p208876

Regards Mick