I joined the AMOC just over two years ago purely by luck.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

I joined the AMOC just over two years ago purely by luck.

Post by Plugsnpoints »

As some of you know, I was luckily enough to win the raffle prize at the Copdock bike show. A superb machine built by Tony.

As in my previous posts I told the story of being knocked off my Guzzi 1000 in 2004 and was in ITU for 8 days. I vowed never to ride again...

So there I was, back on a beautiful British twin as I did as a teenager! A week later I was the proud owner of a project M16 due to a drunk Sunday afternoon on eBay!! I spent a year sourcing parts through the club, Steve Surbey and Les at Russells. I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Apart from the wheel building by the perfectionist Chris Willis Wheels, and the rechroming by Castle Chroming in Birmingham I did it all myself.

I joined the local north Essex section. I've been in bike clubs when I was younger, but these chaps couldn't have been more welcoming.

I had problems swallowing just before Christmas. No symptoms at all before then. Various fast tracks with the hospital (who have looked after me so well), last week I was told I have oesophageal cancer. They've given me 18 months max to live if I have treatment. I'll be 57 next month.

I'm still remarkably calm, and have lots of really good friends around me. No family, they haven't spoken to me for years!

What I wanted to say to you lovely people is thank you so much for all the pleasure and giggles on here since I joined the club. It's been bloody marvellous, it truly has. My bikes are going to a lovely home after I've gone too.

I'll just have to come back and haunt you instead!! I hope to have a couple of rides in the summer if we're allowed :) I've not gone yet so can still pester you here for a while!!

Carpe Diem as they say!

Thanks lads and lasses!

Andy :beer:
Group Leader

Re: I joined the AMOC just over two years ago purely by luck

Post by Group Leader »

Wow Andy! That's a post, what a story.

Fantastic that you've "found" biking again and had a great time since winning the bike. Great work on the restoration (Chris is a friend of mine and he did a great job on my Beeza wheels) and like you I came back to biking relatively recently and have made great new friends (both real and virtual) in the wonderful world of old bikes.

So very sorry to hear of your situation, all I can say is that I hope you get the opportunity to have as much fun and enjoyment out of the bikes for as long as possible and that you can remain in good spirits. Five years ago I lost a good friend Stuart to cancer, he remained so positive throughout - I don't know how, whether it was a strong will or just his way of coping. Not certain I could do it!

Anyway, as Stuart used to say, "You just got to keep on swimming ..."

I'm sure we'll all be rooting for you.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

So sorry to hear that Andy. I hope you get some good rides on your bikes soon.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Andy the current plan is for easing of lockdown by 29th March when stay at home is being relaxed and the rule of 6 returns. Assuming there are no problems with the dates I reckon that means we can go out again in small groups from that date. I hope you get some riding in with the local section. All the best
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Andy that's terribly sad news, You'll get some biking in without a doubt. Feel free to haunt me anytime! :beer: :beer:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Andy, That's such rotten luck. Let's hope treatment work's, do not give up hope. Just over a year ago I was in hospital. I was asked if I had considered end of life support. I said no, I'm going to walk put of here. I did, and i'm still here haunting no one. I am 80.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Andy... I feel for you. My father was diagnosed with terminal oesophageal cancer at the beginning of 2009. He was 86. He passed a few months later, just after his 87th bithday. Make the most of the time you have and ride for as long as you are able. Very best wishes to you...
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Taid

Post by Taid »

My thoughts are with you Andy .. Previous owner of this house(in his 60s) was diagnosed with it as was the father of my daughters ex husband (in his 70s)
.. both had the major operation to remove it and are surviving ..

Best wishes and good riding ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
raffles

Post by raffles »

Andy
it has been a real pleasure to know you and I have truly enjoyed our long chats. Take care my friend
and enjoy what you can.
Tony
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Best wishes ,hope we can all ride this summer!
Alan [Morini] Jennings