Starting my bike.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ianw1

Starting my bike.

Post by ianw1 »

Over the next couple of day's I'll hopefully be starting my 1938 350 Silver Streak for the first time after a winter rebuild. It hadn't been started for 5 years previous to me getting it.
Just a top end build on the engine, new rims, exhaust, silencer, seat etc on the bike. New oil in the tank, I've been kicking the bike over for the past few day's with the spark plug out to get the oil circulating. I've read a post on here somewhere about how long it takes for the oil to return the the tank after starting up.
Not to worry too much, once I fire the bike up, how long should I be looking at before I see oil returning to the tank?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Starting my bike.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It can take several (anxious) minutes with that plunger type pump until the oil reaches the level of the return/pickup gallery in the crankcase, after which it will flow in spurts and bubbles at tickover because the return side of the pump has a greater capacity than the supply side. You can speed things up a bit by tipping say 1/4 pint down the pushrod tubes from whence it will drain into the crankcase and by adding oil to the filter tunnel inside the oil tank.

You may find the lubrication details on pages 7 and 8 of your Owners Manual informative:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ndbook.pdf

Also the variety of comments in the FAQ's here which although they refer to the later H/W singles they have the same reciprocating plunger type pump as you have on your '38:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13368
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'

Post by 1608 »

I wouldn't worry too much about the length of time it takes to reach the tank as by the time it has reached the tank the oil has been to all the important bits before reaching the sump and then tank.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Many thabks for the replies. Good read that SPRIDDLER.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You can get a good indication that the oil's circulating by breaking the feed to the rockers, oil will be apparent here long before you see it as a return to the tank.

Regards Mick
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

As you have a single start pump the agonising wait will be twice as long, Neville's advice about priming the sump is a good one to halve the wait.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

I started the bike up & it sounded good. I left it on a tick over & after a few minutes the oil stated to return to the tank in spits & spurts as I was told it would. No oil leaks from that start up.
I cut a piece of 1/4" thick rubber & put a close hole in the centre with a split in it & fitted it around the dynamo where the dynamo enters the rear of the primary case, held with evo stick, as I was told this is a place for an oil leak. All looks good.
Thanks for everyones help & advice & especially Rob Harknett for his unending knowledge.
Are there any Club members from the Wirral who fancy a ride out?