Rev/Counters Modern??

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
owen

Rev/Counters Modern??

Post by owen »

I have a 1964 Matchless 650csr that has been in rebuild for many years, What I would like is a Rev counter, In todays Electro age is there a replica non mechanical one on the market, I gather these Asian one's are a waste of money. you cannot get a complete Mechanical one for love or money. Many thanks Owen.
Duncan

Re: Rev/Counters Modern??

Post by Duncan »

I have seen a couple at autojumbles/shows, here's one but there are others: https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/gauge ... meter-p212
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think you may be looking for a magnetic tacho, (as opposed to the earlier chronometric), in which case I recently bought a pair of reconditioned instruments from here:

https://www.classic-speedometers.com/

Very pleased with their product and services.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Duncan wrote:I have seen a couple at autojumbles/shows, here's one but there are others: https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/gauge ... meter-p212
I have a pair of Smiths digital instruments fitted to my '71 Bonneville. The tachometer has two separate inputs. One for connecting to the ignition coil on conventional, points operated ignition systems or electronic systems without a dedicated tacho output. The other, for use with electronic systems that do have a dedicated tachometer output.
I've used both inputs (not at the same time!!). When first installed, my bike had a C5 digital electronic ignition system that had a tacho output. When that ignition system subsequently failed, I fitted a Pazon system that didn't have a tacho output, so I used the other tachometer input.
Both worked perfectly and the instruments have been working for that last 6 years.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Reading John's post on fitment to his Bonneville if you have a magneto an electronic won't work. Originally there was a 2:1 drive from the end of the exhaust cam and a 4:1 Chronometric Rev-counter, a Magnetic will work but not match the speedometer.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sorry if I'm being thick here but per the 64 parts list the tacho is PN 030391 which I thought was a magnetic instrument, if so Classic Speedos would be my first point of call.

I would think this tacho would match the 030258 speedo which is listed in the 64 parts list and again I believe to be magnetic.

In my experience, you can get them for money but budget £200 + each for magnetic instruments

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I don't know much about speedos but here are a new pair, presumably magnetic (from India?) for £80 from:

https://www.classicbikepartscheshire.co ... blEALw_wcB

Some of the Indian ones are too deep to fit in the headlamp shell.
Speedo and Rev new.JPG
Speedo and Rev new. 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Owen, my advice is to find the drive before you get a Rev-counter, as these are hens teeth, perhaps advertise for one on the Jampot website another member may have one.
Dudley
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

39speedtwin wrote:Reading John's post on fitment to his Bonneville if you have a magneto an electronic won't work. Originally there was a 2:1 drive from the end of the exhaust cam and a 4:1 Chronometric Rev-counter, a Magnetic will work but not match the speedometer.
They can be used with a magneto, but you will have to buy the separate sensor that clips around the HT lead.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
owen

Post by owen »

Thank you everyone, I did prefer a cable drive, But I have looked for years for a gearbox to no avail, This is why i thought of perhaps going down the Digi route. Again many thanks Owen.