H/wt swing arm pivot.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
dodger

Re: H/wt swing arm pivot.

Post by dodger »

Swing arm lub.jpg
Looks like someone has replaced the corect cover with a home made item or fitted two left hand covers. The spindle holding the covers together should be a short wheel spoke and not a nut as shown in your picture. The off centre screw is the lubrication point, and it is this that is sometimes replaced with a grease nipple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hi dodger,
Yep my G3 has the same off center screw that is removed to inject some w140 lube. :)

Cheers,

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You can replace the RH cover with the correct item without too much bother - though you may disrupt the sealing at the LH end.

Shame you didn't notice this when you were dis-assembling your clutch :(

Regards Mick
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

dodger wrote:
Swing arm lub.jpg
Looks like someone has replaced the corect cover with a home made item or fitted two left hand covers. The spindle holding the covers together should be a short wheel spoke and not a nut as shown in your picture. The off centre screw is the lubrication point, and it is this that is sometimes replaced with a grease nipple.
Thanks Dodger

So according to your photo can I simply get RH cover, spoke and nuts from Club spares and swap them out with the swinging arm in situ. ❓
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol:
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

1957M30 wrote:
dodger wrote:
Swing arm lub.jpg
Thanks Dodger

So according to your photo can I simply get RH cover, spoke and nuts from Club spares and swap them out with the swinging arm in situ. ❓
Or as per my original guestion....... Can I simply drill out what I have ❓❓❓
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

1957M30 wrote:
dodger wrote:
Swing arm lub.jpg
Thanks Dodger

Or...... Just drill a oil filler hole ❓❓❓
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You can't remove the spoke without first removing the inner primary chain case.

You can drill and tap the existing RH cover in situ if you want to risk the swarf finding it's way to the bushes.

Do you know if the SA bearing is filled with oil or grease?

Regards Mick
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

Mick D wrote:Hi

You can't remove the spoke without first removing the inner primary chain case.

You can drill and tap the existing RH cover in situ if you want to risk the swarf finding it's way to the bushes.

Do you know if the SA bearing is filled with oil or grease?

Regards Mick
Hi again Mick

No idea what lube is in there at the mo but am guessing it was packed with grease as its all sealed.
Yes I realise the spoke want come out but the nut will come off and I could replace it with the spoke nut.

Do you know if I could lever the end seen in my photo off through the centre ❓
If I can pop it out I can then drill and tap it but am happy to do it in situ with a greasy tap.

Cheers

Karol
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Karol

You should be able to hook the plate off with no bother, drill and tap to whatever suits you.

Re-assembly may be fun - try restraining the spoke from turning with a lever against the inner chain case.

Regards Mick
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

Mick D wrote:Hi Karol

You should be able to hook the plate off with no bother, drill and tap to whatever suits you.

Re-assembly may be fun - try restraining the spoke from turning with a lever against the inner chain case.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick.......... I have some locking forceps in my tool box that are just right for that sort of thing,
am glad I should be able to hoik the plate off it will make adapting a better bet than possibly introducing swarfvinto the SA....!