Magneto's

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Leonard Pole.

Magneto's

Post by Leonard Pole. »

I remember reading an articel reference electronic ignition that was inside a K2F magneto, could anyone supply details of such a conversion please
Len
33d6

Magneto's

Post by 33d6 »

Hi Len, I've read that article somewhere also and thought it was the ultimate case of a solution looking for a problem. All you have to do is look around any motorcycle chat group and count the thousands of queries about electronic ignition problems and then count the odd one or two about magnetoes. In short other than curiousity, why would any one bother? Cheers from Bob the happy magneto man.
silverarrow

Magneto's

Post by silverarrow »

What good advice from Bob, I have recently had my 70 year old Mag/dyno reworked and was amazed to be told that the Dynamo windings were still as good as they can be and when i went to collect it, saw it on the test rig. It was still producing a healthy 1/4" spark @ only 200 rpm. In my book that is a spark 10 times the normal plug gap at less revs than i could kick the bike over. My Silver Arrow now runs and illuminates wonderfully, starting with the meekest prod.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
Jordan Princic.

Magneto's

Post by Jordan Princic. »

An increased plug gap is used on bench-test to simulate the condition of increased pressure in an engine. A convincing test is to run a magneto for 2 hours (to heat it up), and observe if there is any breakdown of the spark. I had a magneto perform well for about an hour, then got progressively worse.
silverarrow

Magneto's

Post by silverarrow »

I should have said that my Mag had been tested the previous day for 8 hours continuously before i saw it.

I have completed two all day runs since the rebuild when the heat from the motor is extreme.

les
Keep smiling