34/X4 1000cc V-Twin

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Wayne Hind.

34/X4 1000cc V-Twin

Post by Wayne Hind. »

I have a Matchless 1934 V-twin, complete and in quite good condition. Eng. No. 34/X4-15. I am led to believe there were not to many of these bikes built, can anybody help with any info regarding these bikes ?
33d6

34/X4 1000cc V-Twin

Post by 33d6 »

Hi Wayne,
Are you the person who bought the nice one at Shannons on Monday? It's a very nice example. I don't know where they got the rubbish in their catalogue about not many being built. The Matchless v-twin was a good seller and was fitted in a variety of other makes. There was the AJS version of course plus they were used in Brough Superior as well as the ohv version. If I remember rightly 1934 was the year Morgan started to use them in their three wheelers as well. All in all you could get an air cooled side valve, an aircolled ohv versio plus water cooled side and ohv's as well. Matchless first catalogued the Model X in 1929 and produced it until war stopped play in 1940. I had a 1940 AJS version here in Melbourne but that was many years ago. Lovely motor but definitely not uncommon. When will we see it on the road? Cheers BOB