ww2 g3l exhaust valve ring

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
r wheat

ww2 g3l exhaust valve ring

Post by r wheat »

Hi having stripped the head down, there is a spacer ring under bottom valve spring cup of the exhaust vale, nothing under the inlet. thought at first it had been made and put there by a previous owner but have now seen a picture of one in a spares manual, but have not found any reason for it being there hope someone can advise cheers Richard
MikeM.

Re: ww2 g3l exhaust valve ring

Post by MikeM. »

Are you sure it isn't a circlip, later valve guides on alloy heads had a grove in it where a circlip was fitted to prevent the guide dropping into the head.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

These are the valve cup spacer rings, should have two, one for exhaust and inlet.
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

This is the valve cup spacer ring, pt. no. 39-8-E191. According to the parts list, only fitted on the exhaust valve side. It's purpose is to insulate the valve spring from the heat conducted up from the exhaust valve seat etc. Not needed on the inlet side as the inlet valve runs much cooler.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

zwarts wrote:This is the valve cup spacer ring, pt. no. 39-8-E191. According to the parts list, only fitted on the exhaust valve side. It's purpose is to insulate the valve spring from the heat conducted up from the exhaust valve seat etc. Not needed on the inlet side as the inlet valve runs much cooler.
Yes it is only one, I was in error stating two. Two were used on AJS OHV 1937 to 1938. pt no. 37-12-E191. In 1939 AJS engines had fully enclosed valve springs and just one spacer was used on the 500's only. Note the pt. no. is 39-8-E191 The 8 being a 500 AJS model. The WD Matchless was almost all AJS design, which is why you see a lot of old part numbers are AJS pt. no's. I checked a couple of parts lists to see if some years it was one, others two. On doing this I saw I had at first looked at a bad WD photocopy. In which it was difficult to make out all the small print.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

"......and this,
This is a spacer under the inlet valve cup.
It is used for spacing the inlet valve cup.
We call it the G3L Inlet Valve Cup Spacer.
Which in your case
You have not got".

:twisted:

;) ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
r wheat

Post by r wheat »

thanks for the answers, I would never have thought about heat transfer, nice to know it is original cheers Richard