Cleaning out the petrol tank

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mjf65

Cleaning out the petrol tank

Post by mjf65 »

Good evening, just joined after buying a 1960 AJS 650 which hasn't been used for many years. The tank is half full of something and smells awful! There appears to be some yellowish laquer present inside. Could this be the dreaded tank liner?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Cleaning out the petrol tank

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums, Michael.
Yep, stinky old petrol and now with the ethanol additive that dissolves tank liner, gums up petrol taps, pipes, filters and carb jets. A thorough clean is obviously needed then inspect the inside of the tank for softening of any lining material (if it has been lined). There are ethanol-proof lining kits available from Tank Care Products, and others.

https://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/

If you are not aware there are Workshop manuals, Owners manuals, Parts lists and much more in the link below (look under 'Books').

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Enjoy!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Thanks, what's the best stuff for washing it out with?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It depends what you find when you have drained and examined the inside of the tank.
If the inside is sound (whether lined or not) it will just need any sediment flushing out with fresh petrol.
If the tank has a liner which is dissolving you can get a kit to remove it and reline it as indicated in my link earlier.
If the tank has internal flaky rust there are several options for removing/neutralising it ranging from proprietary kits to cheap supermarket Cola and several chemicals in between, coupled with rotating the tank with a selection of nuts, screws and chain inside to dislodge the sludge and rust. Best that you look to see the state of your tank first. As you may imagine, dealing with rusty/linered petrol tanks has been covered many times on these forums and on most other bike websites. If you use the 'Search' facility (the Spyglass towards top right of this page) you'll find previous questions and replies about tank cleaning/repairing.
Lowen1981

Post by Lowen1981 »

Does lead replacement fluid strip the lining off the tank or is this safe to use at the correct dosages
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've never felt the need to use lead replacement additive so don't have any first hand knowledge.
I guess to be certain you need to ask the maker's Techy Help desk.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I would expect lead supplement to have no effect on a coating developed in the seventies, however, these engines are hardly high performance and as such I wouldn't bother adding anything.

I'm of the opinion that replacement valve seats, fuel additives etc. were generally a form of 'snake oil' - (much like tank coatings ;) )

Regards Mick