Model 31 speedo gearbox

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mjf65

Model 31 speedo gearbox

Post by mjf65 »

I don't know if anyone else on here is a member of the AJS and Matchless Worldwide group on Facebook? Anyway a video has popped up with a question asking should the speedo gearbox still rotate when the back wheel is tightened up? The video clearly shows free movement on the G12 in question and after checking my AJS it's exactly the same, free movement only restrained by the cable.

There is plenty of advice telling said owner to fit a special non standard washer which will lock the gearbox body as the concern seems to be that if the gearbox locks up it could snap and wrap the speedo cable around the rear wheel. Has anyone had any experience of this happening?

Thanks
dave16mct

Re: Model 31 speedo gearbox

Post by dave16mct »

Yes ,on my first twin I had in the 70's it was loose. Worked fine if I left it loose but if I tightened the speedo gearbox nut it went around with the wheel and broke the cable. After breaking several I taped the cable to the swinging arm and left it loose. It was no bother after that. I didn't know anything about the correct assembly of the rear wheel components then, so I've no idea why it happened.
Dave.