CORRECT CARBURETTOR STUDS

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
sunnybob

Re: CORRECT CARBURETTOR STUDS

Post by sunnybob »

Hello I need help for my 1958 Model 20. I would like to add a spacer between the carburettor and the intake manifold to keep carb cooler. The carburettor is an Amal 376 and it is fixed with two short studs. So I ordered long intake studs (026058) from the Club but they do not fit. They are longer but too thin :( . Someone knows which studs are the right ones, please?
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Speaking from the experience of fitting a new carb on my G9 and finding the same problem, I think you will find that the existing studs in the manifold are 3/8" instead of the usual 5/16". The interesting thing was that the original 376 carb had 3/8" holes whilst the replacement one had 5/16" holes. I helicoiled the stub holes in the manifold back to 5/16"
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

leswaller wrote:Speaking from the experience of fitting a new carb on my G9 and finding the same problem, I think you will find that the existing studs in the manifold are 3/8" instead of the usual 5/16". The interesting thing was that the original 376 carb had 3/8" holes whilst the replacement one had 5/16" holes. I helicoiled the stub holes in the manifold back to 5/16"
I'm not used to non metric sizes :( What is the diameter size of the 026058 long studs? 3/8 or 5/16?

The bike had 626 carb when I bought it. Later I bought a brand new Amal 376 but I had no problem with the studs. It was perfect for my intake as the 626 was, no problem to fit the studs. Also the spacer seems to fit perfectly the wider studs i had on the intake now, the 026058 are too thin for the holes...
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

010624 is the correct part to hold the carb to the manifold, its also the same part for alloy slider stud/mudguard.

Les as far as I'm aware all studs to hold carbs are 5/16 even the earlier and later bikes that had bolts to hold the carb were 5/16. I think you'll find that there has been a bit of modding going on on your bike probably due to a stripped thread.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

ajscomboman wrote:010624 is the correct part to hold the carb to the manifold, its also the same part for alloy slider stud/mudguard.

Les as far as I'm aware all studs to hold carbs are 5/16 even the earlier and later bikes that had bolts to hold the carb were 5/16. I think you'll find that there has been a bit of modding going on on your bike probably due to a stripped thread.
Must have been the by PO as one would say :lol:
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Could have been any of the PO's
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

May be but after four years and the engine being in and out and rebuilt and the new owners DNA all over the bike and bits falling off in Poland after just six miles :o
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

PO could have been AMC. A parts lists may not always be 100% correct for your bike?? They were produced at the start of a model year. But they are all we really have to refer to now. Unless some one finds / sorts out, all the errata's and service letters to accompany them, that up dated them, during the model year. See this example. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ser ... 55_no2.pdf
Without that info, you could think the mod after the engine no's quoted was made by a PO, but it was in fact a mid year AMC mod. Armed with just the parts list you could end up getting / having, wrong parts for your bike, which the parts list shows are correct. :headbang: There are quite a few Service sheets in the archives, but there must be many that are lost. You can get some clues of mid year changes by checking the part in the next years parts list for your bike. If it differs, it may have been a mid year change for your bike. Some dealers were good at updating their old parts lists with new part numbers pencilled in. Some of these dealer parts books have survived. But they will only give a clue, that at some unknown time, a change was made. Check the 1960 Master parts list, it lists many parts, with a note, " use" then a different part no. given.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

G15 Roy wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:010624 is the correct part to hold the carb to the manifold, its also the same part for alloy slider stud/mudguard.

Must have been the by PO as one would say :lol:
I wonder who that was :twisted: :twisted:
I think it was someone with a big blue van
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

Ok, I checked the size of the studs. I did it in mm but with a conversion table is quite easy to check them. The long studs I bought from the club part number 026058 are 1/4" (about 6 mm) and they do not fit my intake manifold :cry: . Studs on bike are 5/16 (about 8 mm), so I guess they are correct. They fit perfectly Amal carb holes. So no the question is, where can I find some longer 5/16 studs or bolts to fit a spacer or insulator, please?

Last question: PO means Precedent Owner?

Thank you. Ciao
Roberto