Leaky pressed steel chaincase

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Stuoyb

Re: Leaky pressed steel chaincase

Post by Stuoyb »

So you didn't want to give the cheaper club seal a try?
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

To be honest I was going to try the alternative design seal but someone voiced doubts about it's longevity as they said:-

No, I have reservations about this. Although I think the design is good, I believe it's basically car trim and I'm not convinced about the long-term life of that kind of foam when used in contact with oil, an application it was never designed for. Having seen both types, I think Mrs Buckingham's seal (as advertised in the back of the Jampot) is far better.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will claim that the club's seal is excellent and I really don't want to start an argument on here about it. The two types might both be excellent, I really don't know as I've not tried either type yet. I previously had the standard seal from the Club and that worked very well (probably as the chaincases are nice and straight). So I just made a decision and went for the Buckingham seal. Cheers. Bruce.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Fitted Club seal yesterday and we'll see!

Johnny B
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

No, I have reservations about this. Although I think the design is good, I believe it's basically car trim and I'm not convinced about the long-term life of that kind of foam when used in contact with oil, an application it was never designed for. Having seen both types, I think Mrs Buckingham's seal (as advertised in the back of the Jampot) is far better.
I have had one of the "new type" fitted since late 2013, removed the primary cover late 2015 and it is the seal is the same as when I fitted it, the American section have been using them for a lot longer and it is their experience that persuaded the club to stock them so the longevity should not be an issue. There's probably more to worry about than seal degrading that costs at a touch over £6 with discount (almost disposable at this price any way). I have used all three and know what one I prefer.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I've got 4 of them in use and not one of them leak. I wish I had as much success with the dynamo and g/box mainshaft sealing. I've had to remove a couple due to issues with the clutch plates and dynamo charging etc and despite this they always reseal. I've also tried the other 2 types available without success despite the faces being a lovely fit.
shifter

Post by shifter »

I have just ordered two of the upgrade seals from the club to fit on my bikes as i am keen to see if they are as good as some people say.And if they are as good they will be well worth the extra few pence
?
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

shifter wrote:I have just ordered two of the upgrade seals from the club to fit on my bikes as i am keen to see if they are as good as some people say.And if they are as good they will be well worth the extra few pence
You will not regret it ;)

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Jim you were spot on after a while in the workshop of winter tinkering she went for her maiden run today and the new up dated primary cover seal has worked a treat
Now the G80s turn to get a new seal
Last edited by shifter on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

shifter wrote:the new up dated primary cover seal has worked a treat
That's good to know, Kevin. I believe the Spares people plan to send out a crossword/Sudoku book with each of the new seals so that post-drippy chaincase fettlers will have something with which to pass their time in the shed.

Isn't it curious how nowadays we find the need to share our satisfaction when something actually works as claimed? I find myself doing it quite often.

No doubt that's why Ronseal's highly successful advert: 'It does what it says on the tin' tapped into the nation's frustration and disappointment with all sorts of poor performing products and has now become such a common idiomatic phrase.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
shifter

Post by shifter »

Oh there is still plenty to get on with in the workshop/shed
?