Lucas alternator

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Trefor

Lucas alternator

Post by Trefor »

I'm wrestling with a Lucas alternator RM 13/15 three wire 6 volt. The original colour coding on the cables has gone, but I have, using an AC volt meter determined a 'common wire' and a reading of about 6volts on tick over by connecting to the other two in turn. In practice the output is about 4 amps on the road and enough to power the side the lights but no where enough to power the head lamp, staying firmly in the negative of the amp meter. The coils check out and are not shorting to earth, does this sound like a demagnetised rotor? Suggestions appreciated.
aobp11

Re: Lucas alternator

Post by aobp11 »

You should also find out which wires connect to the low power coil and which to the high power coil. Maybe you can recognize this with resistance measurements; the high power coil (the one with 2 branches in parallel in the schematics) has lower resistance. Between the not-common wires you should read the highest resistance of the 3 possibilities, and also not much AC voltage.
Albert
Expat

Post by Expat »

Sounds very much the same issue as with my G3. It will show a charge with headlight on if speed is over c 45mph, but only just.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get busy with the meter.
midgebuster

Post by midgebuster »

IMG_0340.JPG
Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a new one. I've just pulled my alternator off my model 20 and wondered if anyone new if there is a common replacement, as the part numbers have been superseded I think. I'm looking for 6volt to go with my modern rectifier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midgebuster

Post by midgebuster »

IMG_0341.JPG
The stator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ian_5931

Post by ian_5931 »

midgebuster

Post by midgebuster »

Thanks, I'm looking for a 74mm replacement I think, the current one is 70mm, but these are no longer available
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Neil
I believe that the club has these in stock, however it may be an opportunity to consider upgrading to 12v.
midgebuster

Post by midgebuster »

Hi
Thanks for the replies. What I want to do is buy a new alternator and I was wondering which one to fit. Te 74mm diameter rotors and matching stator seem to be easy to get hold of, but I don't know which part to get. The old of the stator is 127mm. Is it Rm20 and RM21 I need?