Re-registering a bike

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Fish91

Re-registering a bike

Post by Fish91 »

Hi all,

I've purchased my first classic AJS and looking for some advice. I know absolutely nothing about classic AJS bikes or indeed classic bikes at all. The first piece of advice I'm looking for is re-registering the bike, it hasn't come with a log book although I do know the registration number (assuming it's correct). Would I be right in saying that if I register as a full member the 'Machine Dating Service' would be able to give me the registration, frame and engine numbers for me to apply to the dvla for a new logbook?

Thanks!
Rob Harknett

Re: Re-registering a bike

Post by Rob Harknett »

First join the club, then contact the club dating officer. The dating officer will advise you of the procedure to register the bike. There is a fee to join the club also a fee to get the bike registered. That fee is reduced for members. Become a member first to start saving money. You then also have the full benefit of a club member to get your bike going.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Sounds a bit Fishy to me.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should not have to be told the numbers, they are on the bike. Maybe you do not know where to look. What year and model was the bike claimed to be ? Ask if you need help where to find the numbers. You will have to give this information to progress. In registering and working on the bike. This may be all new to you, so we have to start at the basics.
clive

Post by clive »

A good basic to start with would be something more honest with your registration. "Fish Sticks" living in London, I cannot be bothered to give you any more advice if that is your approach to the club.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Fish91

Post by Fish91 »

Hi Rob,

Essentially i've bought the bike in need of a full restoration with only a registration plate as form of ID of the bike. No doubt there are engine and frame numbers however i don't pick the bike up until friday and cannot see them and even then i am slightly worried that they might not match that registration but i guess i wont find out until i've applied for the v5. The bike in question is a 1957 ajs model 14. It's in a right state but being a fairly basic hopefully will be a good rebuild.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Dating information is here http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp

Without a log book or clear documented evidence of the link between the bike frame and the number it is unlikely you will be unable to retain the registration.

The club will not have records of registration numbers as these were issued after the bike had left the factory.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

We may no know your name, but we do know a 1957 mod 14 AJS is not gen. So cannot help you with the bike.
Fish91

Post by Fish91 »

Beginning to think i should leave it where it is...

Ill post a ebay link later. It looks like a model 14 however its registeration is on a old 'x' plate claimed 195.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 80&alt=web

Thanks
Leon
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hello Leon, that looks like a major work project to restore. Perhaps best to leave alone with only a little knowledge of the type.
I see it has sold now.
It would most likely be useful as spares for another project.

Keep looking!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS