1952 18s front spindle

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Steve Harding

1952 18s front spindle

Post by Steve Harding »

Hi, can anyone tell me how much thread should there be showing on the end of the spindle?
I have adjusted the brake plate so that the edge is flush with the hub, but when fitting the wheel. there is only about 3/8'' of thread.
Is a full nut used here, it doesn't look right.

Any help appreciated

Regards,

Steve
Rob Harknett

Re: 1952 18s front spindle

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its a full nut 000001 a standard nut used since the 1920's old pt. no. STD 001. We cannot see what you have that does not look right. How you come to have little thread left for a nut. How have you fitted the wheel etc. What it looks like the opposite side. Working blind here but, assuming you have the wheel assembled correctly. Lets now put it in the forks. Wheel is ready for fitting, put the bottom cap loosely fitted on the forks, opposite the brake plate. Line up the non threaded end of the spindle, to the edge of the forks. Not sticking out or only halfway through, as I have seen some fitted. Now fully tighten that end. Now put the other bottom cap on. Fully tighten that. The wheel should then be central. You should then have enough thread protruding for the spindle washer and nut. If it is not I wonder if you have the correct fitting either side of the brake plate, in particular on the out side. Check your parts list..
Steve Harding

Post by Steve Harding »

Thanks for the reply, the outer nut is new, when the wheel is fitted, the nut is up against the slider and not enough thread sticking through.
It is possible I have the wrong outer nut? The bike as the later 1 1/4 forks fitted, with full width hub
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Hi
Steve.
I have a 56 front wheel thats off the bike at the moment. Not sure where 'OTHER' is in the uk, but if its near Kent you are welcome to come and have a look.
Steve Harding

Post by Steve Harding »

Hi thanks for the offer, but I'm in Stoke on Trent
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Steve Harding wrote:Thanks for the reply, the outer nut is new, when the wheel is fitted, the nut is up against the slider and not enough thread sticking through.
It is possible I have the wrong outer nut? The bike as the later 1 1/4 forks fitted, with full width hub
On the full width hub the outer nut is not a nut as such, it is a very thin fitting.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.02.04_17h23m41s_002_.png
You never mentioned at first you had the wrong wheel.
See pic of thin inner nut and outer fitting for 1955 full width front hub. Note the outer fitting part that is proud of the brake plate, is quite thin. It will still almost touch the inside of the forks , leaving enough room for the spindle washer and nut to screw fully on the spindle. Maybe this will solve your problem. Note the outter fitting is stepped to go inside the brake plate providing enough thread to lock up on the inner nut. The step on this fitting is of the same thickness as the brake plate. This fitting minimises space taken up between the fitting and the forks. If you have a thick nut on the outer side of the brake plate, that may stopping the fork closing in, so you can get the spindle nut fully on. Surely you would also need this special fitting, or the brake plate will move up & down on the smaller dia. spindle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Harding

Post by Steve Harding »

Hi, yes they are the parts that are fitted, even with these, the nut is not fully threaded on
clive

Post by clive »

I think that the part number 018071 above can be different sizes depending on the year. Seem to remember having a problem because of it once. When you do put the wheel in place is the tyre equidistant from both of the fork sliders? If not this could be your problem. The nut is a special nut and about half the diameter of a normal one, it does not have to do much work except pull over the spindle before the you tighten the slider clamp.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix