Crank shaft timing pinion

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Harry44

Crank shaft timing pinion

Post by Harry44 »

The strip down was going well. Then I get to the timing pinion. The only puller I have that will fit just isn't strong enough. My three leg puller won't fit without I take the grinder to it. I haven't tried heat yet but any other suggestions would be welcome. or is there a dedicated puller for the job.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Ozmadman

Re: Crank shaft timing pinion

Post by Ozmadman »

Harry44 wrote:The strip down was going well. Then I get to the timing pinion. The only puller I have that will fit just isn't strong enough. My three leg puller won't fit without I take the grinder to it. I haven't tried heat yet but any other suggestions would be welcome. or is there a dedicated puller for the job.
well, there is for the lightweight, tried all sorts to get mine off but ended up buying the puller ( not expensive) and it was off in a jiffy.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clive

Post by clive »

It is helpful if you put your question in the section of the forum that covers your model. Assuming it is the 18S in your profile then yes there is a special tool for the job. You will already have found that the nut holding the gear on is left hand thread. If you have a puller that fits behind the gear I would try setting it up with the extractor bolt tightened up as far as you feel is safe. Then tap the bolt with a hammer to jar everything. This often works.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Sorry yes it is the 18S.

I've found the puller in the club spares scheme but it looks like its out of stock :(
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Had the same problem last week. The only tool for the job is the correct extractor. Got one from a well known secondhand parts dealer in Essex as the parts service haven't had any in stock for yrs.

Depending on where you are located you may have a section member who is willing to loan one out.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

ajscomboman wrote:Had the same problem last week. The only tool for the job is the correct extractor. Got one from a well known secondhand parts dealer in Essex as the parts service haven't had any in stock for yrs.

Depending on where you are located you may have a section member who is willing to loan one out.

Thanks. I'm in Taunton somerset so if anyone near here has one I can borrow rent or buy ?

Or if from far afield I'd cheerfully pay postage.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I thought that the crankshaft timing pinion would come out through the timing side bush, of course once the oil pump is out.

Once out of the cases I'd have thought (not my strong point) that it would be easier to remove.

So if it's a full strip down........

Johnny B
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

56G80S wrote:I thought that the crankshaft timing pinion would come out through the timing side bush, of course once the oil pump is out.

Once out of the cases I'd have thought (not my strong point) that it would be easier to remove.

So if it's a full strip down........

Johnny B

I don't think it will go through the timing side bush but probably would go through the case once the bush is out. Has anyone done it that way? It looks possible but then it may be a struggle to get the cases apart while trying to pull the bush out of the case at the same time.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Perhaps it depends on the year, I'm pretty sure it does on mine. Hope I don't have to renew my memory of that too soon. I'm touching wood now but it's a lot of miles since I last split the cases.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

The 57 crankcase should have the larger bush which allows the crankcase to be split with the timing side gear still in place. If you have to remove it then the timing side of the crankcase is earlier. Not unusual if something had happened to the oilpipe fixing. Damage this or the oil pump drive and perhaps you replace the timing side of the crankcase although the earlier cases would have required a different timing side shaft. Don't even think of trying to get the cases apart by pushing the bush out of the case at the same time. It has to be heated to release it and it is pinned into place to stop rotation from inside the crankcase.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix