1956 G80S front fork yoke pinch bolts

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

1956 G80S front fork yoke pinch bolts

Post by 56G80S »

Still working on the front forks and preparing for refitting handlebar fairing.

Wanted to have the Matchless usable in the meantime so thought I'd re-fit the original allen bols / cap screws whatever. Cant find them!

I do have a couple of spare too long ones (got four because I assumed I'd make a mistake preparing the work on for the fairing).

I could do with the maximum depth under the head for the originals so that I don't bottom out when I cut down the spares and thread using the the 3/8" BSF die.

But don't want to be too short either and not have enough thread to support tightening up to pinch! Stripping threads not what I'm about here.

Just realised while typing this that I won't be able to get the thread right to the base of the cap? Or will I?

Johnny B
Andy51

Re: 1956 G80S front fork yoke pinch bolts

Post by Andy51 »

Johnny, you won't need to cut the thread right to the bottom. They have a plain bit under the head, can' remember how long though. Andy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

John total length inc cap head 1 3/8" 1" of thread.

With regards to pinch bolt spacers I've managed to sort mine out by using an old stripped Twin exhaust mounting stud (the long ones) and drilled out the centre and cut 2 spacers out of it. They are the perfect fit into the recess in the yolk.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Andy

Cheers, reassurance very welcome.

Rob

Thanks, that's a big help. I don't have elecricity supply to the lock up and consequently haven't a pillar drill to accurately drill along a rod. Having the original dimensions is great as I want to use as much thread in the yoke as possible but not bottom out which would mean no pinch!

I'll replicate the originals and fit them, make sure the forks are straight (they're not but it's only a smidge got back from Stirling fine) and can then ride while I get the fairing sorted.

Your patience appreciated.

Johnny B
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

i would not thread a cap head screw longer. Correct sizes are cheap and easily available. Dies are expensive in comparison
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Alan

Too late. You should've heard the awful noises despite the liberally applied oil. Should there be three levels of cut like taps?

May be contacting Tracy Tools soon for replacement.

Unles my hope comes true and there's another die in the collection of taps, dies, micrometers etc that Mum left me. It's a hell of a mess about trekking down to Hawk Fasteners in Middlesbrough especially as they don't open on Saturdays and I'm nearly full time working again.

Johnny B
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

No only one type of button die. And the worst of it all is you wont throw the bu----rd one away and then mess up the next thread you try and make. been there, still wear the tee shirt