G9/55 identification

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Harvey25

G9/55 identification

Post by Harvey25 »

Hi all,
This is my 1st time using this service so please accept my apologies if I have got this in the wrong place.

I have recently purchased a basket case g9 500 twin dated Nov 1954. (G9/55) I joined the club the day I bought the bike ( or baskets!) Roy Bellet has dated it for me at the above date and I now have the dating certificate.

What I really need to know now is what bike it is or should be! Magazines and parts manuals etc that came with the bike suggest it's a super clubman, but how do I tell? I will tell you a little bit about what I have and then what I have not.

I have chrome side lamps, chrome headlight ears and chrome shrouds at the top of the fork just above the mudguard. The top fork nuts are chrome and the Center nut in the middle of the yoke ( 2 off) are also chrome, with the upmost having a small hole in the center.
I have two small tool boxes that fit behind the oil tank and battery with are blue, a red oxide coloured petrol tank. The yokes were a dark British racing green ( top & bottom).

The headlamp cowl has ( speedo missing) speedo hole in it amongst the switch,amp meter etc.

What I don't have are the exhausts (downpipe or silencer)
The speedo and amp meter.
The wiring loom
Half the clutch
Any of the handle bar levers
And more that I have not worked out yet.

I'm only telling what I have not got in case some asks as a form of identification.

I will buy what's missing when I have a proper list, which won't be long when I know what bike it should be!

So hopefully someone can help me, as for silencers ( is it a silencer or a megaphone)!

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Harvey ( the retro Japanese bike rider) this is my 1st British bike 👍
alanengineer

Re: G9/55 identification

Post by alanengineer »

I think all early to mid 50s twins were called 'Super Clubman'.

Have a good look at the material g80cps11 has put above and also have a good look at the vast amount of info elsewhere in the archives. dont try and learn everything in one hit. Start with the frame and work outwards.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Harvey

Looks like you have many happy hours ahead, you wouldn't go far wrong in getting a copy of Roy Bacons "AJS & Matchless - All Post War Road Singles & Twins Restoration", it will expand on/complement the information available in the Technical Tips Section on the mains site http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=20
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

see http://www.jampot.com/Books.asp for our catalogue of useful books (some may be out of print though...)
Corners like a Lego man
Harvey25

Post by Harvey25 »

Hi all and thanks for the info,
I love the happy hours part of my lessons ahead. I have bought the Roy bacon book and I am trying to read it in between interruptions!

I will start reading the archives as soon as possible.

Regards
Harvey
clive

Post by clive »

Once you know what you are looking for try using the adverts section to see if another member can help, or if you wish to discuss parts you hope someone can supply try the wanted section of the forum. have fun.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix