Exhaust manifold

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
clive

Re: Exhaust manifold

Post by clive »

well the local section members would fall over laughing if they read the forum (I reguarly use silicon sealant to hold switches in place etc) but in this case isn't using silicon sealant a bit of a bodge whereas welling out the end of the pipe a fix?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Clive, def going to well out head first, then bit of silicone out of sight inside just as a back up.
Thanks for your post, I have found something that may help to open the end of the pipe.
Mike
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Has anyone tried an extra support for the exhaust ? I have in mind a bracket clamping to the header pipe and going to the front engine bolt just below the magneto platform. That should pull the pipe into the port in the head.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Shouldn't there already be one there? Maybe the issue is yours is missing?
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

uktom77 wrote:Shouldn't there already be one there? Maybe the issue is yours is missing?

At the moment I don't have a problem, the mountings I have are one for the silencer and another bolted to the lower engine mount then it fits in the exhaust port about 18 inches above that mounting.

My idea is to have a bracket about 9 inches below the exhaust port attaching to the front bolt of the magneto platform. if that was under slight tension it should pull the exhaust into the port more securely and prevent the wear that can occur and cause the exhaust to become loose in the head.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
clive

Post by clive »

Harry44, many of these bikes have managed for 60 plus years without this mod. I suggest you well out the end of the exhaust pipe to take up any damage to the head and follow the earlier advice on how to lock them in place and all should be well.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix