CSR Mudgaurds

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
teebee67

CSR Mudgaurds

Post by teebee67 »

Having just purchased a 1961 Model 31 I wish to put it to CSR spec appearance wise. i cannot remember (isn't getting old wonderful) if the mudgards were aluminium or chromed steel, can anyone advise please? Also does anybody know of a supplier for these?
Any help greatly appreciated.
I'm only old on the outside.
petert120r

Re: CSR Mudgaurds

Post by petert120r »

They're ally and can be obtained from AMC Classic Spares. Please note however that you will need double lugged front fork sliders for the two sets of stays, a different rear mudguard mounting loop, seat and rear lamp plus fixings
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

Thanks for the quick response, it was very helpful. I hadn't realized I'd have to change the fork sliders and seat.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Is the bike totally original spec at the moment? If so, it does seem a shame to turn it into a cheap bitza.
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

It's a Standard 61 AJS fitted with a 59 Matchless engine. At present it has Matchless running gear and is in Matchless colours. I prefer the light blue/chrome AJS colours and the CSR styling and that is how I will have it. I will keep the standard mudguards, etc so it can be returned to "as is" now. I am not too fussed about it being bog standard otherwise I would not have bought it in the first place.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

So not totally original Tony. I guess that's makes it an ideal project to turn into a running machine you would like. Doing so, doing no harm had it been original. Also by keeping the parts that could make it original, still keeps that option open in the future.
I have an untouched from new, 1938 350 AJS apart from it having came with a post war dual seat, head and rocker box. These parts fitted in the early 50's. The owner had kept only the saddle and pillion seats. Which I put on the bike. I have since found a 38 head and rocker box, so it can be returned to totally original spec.
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

Yes Rob, my plan is to be able to return it to as near standard as I can (given it is a bit of a mongrel engine to chassis wise). The previous owner made a really nice job of the restoration and added a few tasteful mods - small indicators, 12 Vdc conversion, stainless rims, etc. I will be keeping these on. My first bike bought for my 15th birthday (we had an abandoned RAF camp nearby where we rode motorbikes) was a 350cc Jampot AJS. Later on the road I had 2 AJS Model 31's and a fully customised and highly tuned Matchless G12 (amongst many other bikes). Always loved the AMC twins and now, the ACU won't give me a race licence (health issues), I have gone back to my youth and bought the Ajay. I will be a fair weather rider though - roll on the summer !!!

Post by 1608 »

If you want to keep the option of returning the bike back to original then its not worth the expense of getting the correct CSR fork sliders with the additional front lugs, in my opinion. My 18s came with alloy guards, the front stays are fitted to the original standard sliders by use of a small and unobtrusive bracket that attaches under the axle clamp bolt.
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

Thanks for that, it seems like that might be a good option for me. Do you have a part number at all?
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi
Sammy Miller offer a bracket that sits between the forks and is aimed at the pre 65 trials AMC bikes, but they say they are out of stock! It might give you an idea for another option to mount the alloy front guard. Bear in mind most pre 65 are 21 inch front wheel instead of 19 inch like the road bikes.
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...