Sticky clevis

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Charles.
Deceased

Sticky clevis

Post by Charles. »

Any hints on holding the Jampot outer damper tube so a very unwilling clevis can be removed will be gratefully received. Tried and failed: heat + rubber strap wrench; heat + wooden clamp. Lead is no longer available in the US, so John Doust's technique (Classic Mechanics #16) is out. Help!
clive

Sticky clevis

Post by clive »

No idea how to hold the damper tube, wooden clamp sounds best. Have you tried freezing the parts rather than heating them? I use this technique to get bezels off speedos. The differential between the brasss bezel and the metal case on freezing will usually free it up. The exact opposite if you try heating it. It depends on differential between metals I gues but certainly worth a try. Of course I also use the standard bodge of trying a small tightening force first before trying to undo it too. No idea why but this seems to help. To freeze the speedos I stick them in a polly bag in the freezer for about 3 days. Have all the equipment set up as soon as you remove it from the freezer. If it does not work staright away keep trying as it warms up. Do remember to wear gloves as the frozen metal can take your skin off. Good luck
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix