How do you ream a bushing?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Steve S

Re: How do you ream a bushing?

Post by Steve S »

Thanks Paul, I'd be very grateful and relieved if you could confirm by having a look, Steve
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Well whilst deliberating about the position of the seal, I tried re-assembling the box dry and without a gasket. Using Paul's method it went together very easily and all gears select correctly.

Thanks Paul for this very useful tip, Steve S.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Steve S wrote:Thanks Paul, I'd be very grateful and relieved if you could confirm by having a look, Steve
Blimey that nut was tight!!! (yes I know it is LHT) took me 30 mins to free it especially without proper tools... large adjustable, big hammer and ancient Black and decker workmate BUT got it off and here is your confirmation +plus I can add these to my lightweight picture library as well!! Seal sits in from the flange edge 4.5 mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Many thanks Paul, greatly relieved. Will tap it further in after taking the box apart.

However I have just scraped some rather thick grey paint off the outside of the casing where the layshaft bush is housed and I've seen a small hole - difficult to say how it got there, a casting defect perhaps?

Anyway the paint that came away (placed alongside in photo) was covered in oil on the underside and so was plugging a leak or a seep. I intend to clean it with a dremmel tool and seal it with Araldite unless you can recommend a better method?

Steve S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's not paint - that's a previous owners attempt to repair the hole.

Rather than use epoxy, which will de-bond as the box expands / contracts with heat, I'd use silicon or polysulphide sealant after giving it a good clean and key with the 'Dremel'.

Regards Mick
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Yes someone tried to repair it with layers of paint, it came away as a thick coat.

Thanks for the tip for sealing the hole, Steve