trip meter

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
robcurrie

Re: trip meter

Post by robcurrie »

The missing bit is a shaft with a gear and spring. Poking something in the hole will not do anything, there is a gear that has to be turned. You can find repair guides with exploded views on the 'net which will help you understand the workings.

Rob C
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should see a little round piece of metal about 1/8" dia, hanging out enough to see the clevis pin hole to fit the trip stem/knob on. I am sure, as it has a trip on it, you should be able to zero the mileage Otherwise there's no point in having it.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Yes Rob, he should see that but, as Bart has already said, there is a hole but with nothing sticking out of it.
clive

Post by clive »

clive wrote:.....trip return came out of the bottom with an extension cable and knob so you can get at it. The extension may be missing or the shaft may have been broken or cut off (a regular occurence ).....
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:Yes Rob, he should see that but, as Bart has already said, there is a hole but with nothing sticking out of it.
Not that easy to see, with the speedo fitted. Or as Clive says its broken. Could be broken where the hole for the clevis pins is. Could have got forced up?? in which case you wont see it with the speedo fitted. You do need to know where to look and what you should expect to find.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.05.11_00h39m20s_002_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rob Harknett wrote: You do need to know where to look and what you should expect to find.
Since Bart has already found the hole it's clear he knows where to look and can see it well enough. He has identified that there is nothing sticking out. Clive has already said (twice) what there should be and what could have happened to it. Whether it's broken or missing is irrelevant as, either way, it will need a new one to be able to reset the trip. Fortunately, it isn't a vital component so Bart can ponder that decision at leisure.

This is a photograph of the underside of a speedo showing the trip return. The big red arrow pointing to it is an aftermarket optional extra, not factory fitted. Other colours are available.

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote: You do need to know where to look and what you should expect to find.
Since Bart has already found the hole it's clear he knows where to look and can see it well enough. He has identified that there is nothing sticking out. Clive has already said (twice) what there should be and what could have happened to it. Whether it's broken or missing is irrelevant as, either way, it will need a new one to be able to reset the trip. Fortunately, it isn't a vital component so Bart can ponder that decision at leisure.

This is a photograph of the underside of a speedo showing the trip return. The big red arrow pointing to it is an aftermarket optional extra, not factory fitted. Other colours are available.

That's all that was needed for a very first reply, to assist Bart. To be sure he knew what to look for and where. As it is difficult to see with the speedo fitted. It is uncanny, it often needs some one to make a mistake or error, or comment, some one will come along later, to resolve an issue. This can put many people off trying to help. In particular those that get picked up on gramma.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

gramma grammar :rofl:

Rob C
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rob Harknett wrote:That's all that was needed for a very first reply, to assist Bart.
So why didn't you do it? It's not even off my bike, but I'm sure Glyn won't mind. Especially if no-one tells him.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Well spotted Rob. You did not notice another deliberate I made, on another topic but Les W did.
I only have a fitted speedo Janet which I could not even get a picture of, unless I took the curtain wire extension off, that has been jammed on for 30 years.