What is the best way to clean the inside of a fuel tank?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
thornebt

What is the best way to clean the inside of a fuel tank?

Post by thornebt »

I've got a small fuel tank that is slightly rusty inside. I've searched the form and there is a method of cleaning using hydrochloric acid and then bleach to neutralise it but I'm after something easier. I wonder if I might be able to clean the inside by throwing in a few handfuls of something abrasive and giving it a good long shake. Possibly gravel or I could get a sample of shot blasting beads on Ebay at £4.50 for less than 1kg. They come in various sizes but I guess the largest size might be best - 250 - 425 microns.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Cheers. Bruce.
Janet

Re: Whatb is the best way to clean the inside of a fuel tank

Post by Janet »

I've had a handful of nuts and bolts chucked in and shaken about recommended to me but as yet I've not needed to try it.
Mick D

Re: What is the best way to clean the inside of a fuel tank?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A length of steel chain is much easier to handle - you'll also find uses for it afterwards if you're anything like me.

Regards Mick
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

DO NOT USE BLEACH PLEASE after HCL,you will generate chlorine which is not a good idea.I would not use HCL but phosphoric acid then baking soda if you must but better to just rinse well.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A few handfuls of pea shingle & water. Also Jerry Lee Lewis record Whole lot of shaking going on, play the record about 100 times while shaking the tank.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

If you have access to a small cement mixer then cut a circular piece of ply or chipboard about 6" larger than the mouth of the mixer. Cut some slots in the board and use small ratchet straps through the slots and down to the mixer blades and firmly attach the board to the mixer drum. Attach the tank to the board using the same method with some protection between the straps and the tank.
Put a couple of handfuls of nuts or a piece of old chain in the tank and run it for an hour while you have a few beers.
Save the board for the next tank!

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

JimFitz wrote:If you have access to a small cement mixer then cut a circular piece of ply or chipboard about 6" larger than the mouth of the mixer. Cut some slots in the board and use small ratchet straps through the slots and down to the mixer blades and firmly attach the board to the mixer drum. Attach the tank to the board using the same method with some protection between the straps and the tank.
Put a couple of handfuls of nuts or a piece of old chain in the tank and run it for an hour while you have a few beers.

Jim
I was hoping for an innovative idea and I do have a cement mixer. I'll definitely try that. It will take a little bit of effort to set it up but it's a great idea! Thanks also to everyone else for your ideas about what to throw inside. Cheers. Bruce.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

thornebt wrote:
JimFitz wrote:If you have access to a small cement mixer then cut a circular piece of ply or chipboard about 6" larger than the mouth of the mixer. Cut some slots in the board and use small ratchet straps through the slots and down to the mixer blades and firmly attach the board to the mixer drum. Attach the tank to the board using the same method with some protection between the straps and the tank.

Jim
I was hoping for an innovative idea and I do have a cement mixer. I'll definitely try that. It will take a little bit of effort to set it up but it's a great idea! Thanks also to everyone else for your ideas about what to throw inside. Cheers. Bruce.
No try my idea, out in your garden. After about 10 plays of Whole lot of shaking going on, the neighbours will buy you a new tank if you shut up.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you use the cement mixer to save your arms I'd advise mounting the tank off centre and rotating it through 180 degrees half way through the process, this will ensure all of the inside area gets abraded. If it's mounted centrally areas will likely be missed.

Adding water will also help.

You need to protect the abraded surface as soon as possible so plan to seal straight after mechanically de-rusting.

Regards Mick
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Mick D wrote:Hi

If you use the cement mixer to save your arms I'd advise mounting the tank off centre and rotating it through 180 degrees half way through the process, this will ensure all of the inside area gets abraded. If it's mounted centrally areas will likely be missed.

Adding water will also help.

You need to protect the abraded surface as soon as possible so plan to seal straight after mechanically de-rusting.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick. I should probably just Google 'tank sealant' but could you recommend one please? Cheers. Bruce.