Matchless g3ls front fork sliders

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
stevegevans

Matchless g3ls front fork sliders

Post by stevegevans »

Hi;
I have recently removed the front wheel from my 1954 g3ls to replace the tyre and noticed that the fork slider caps are held on with nuts but no washers.
Looking at a manual, it appears to show a plain washer under the nut.
Is this correct, what sort of torque should be applied when re-assembling and are there any cases of these nuts becoming loose ?
Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: Matchless g3ls front fork sliders

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have only ever used the small toolbox spanners to tighten these nuts. Tightening them as tight as I can with the small spanner, never had any come loose since 1956.
clive

Post by clive »

I agree with Rob, short spanner the correct torque setting, and they should have a washer. If you are worried about them coming loose use a bit of thread lock.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

When fitting the caps, position the non threaded end of the spindle flush with the forks or a bit proud. Then fully tighten the caps. Thighten the spindle nut last. I have seen bikes with the spindle only halfway in the fork, perhaps through tighten the spindle nut with cap nuts loose, so the spindle gets pulled into the fork, perhaps even pulling the fork leg in a bit. I do usually use a little ring spanner on those cap nuts, as a ring spanner does not easily slip.