Advice needed on buying a 1960 G3

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Bazz55

Advice needed on buying a 1960 G3

Post by Bazz55 »

Hi, I'm new to the Forum. I'm into my 60s, still biking (on a modern Beemer and a middle aged Guzzi) and I'm considering venturing into the dangerous waters of vintage ownership for the first time. I've always liked Matchless singles so I thought I'd start there.

Watching eBay I've spotted this nice-looking G3: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/matchless/172 ... 1438.l2649

Having done a little research it appears to be complete and original, and it's reg is indeed listed as an AFS bike. But the mileage seems very low. I'm planning to go and see it this weekend before I bid.

What should I look for, what questions should I ask, which documents are essential - and what's the most I should pay!?

Thanks in advance

Barry
Rob Harknett

Re: Advice needed on buying a 1960 G3

Post by Rob Harknett »

The bike would not have done many miles by the AFS. WE had one at Harlow when I was in the AFS up to the time it was disbanded. Apart from riding the bike round the yard at Harlow fire station, where we also had a Green goddess, I only recall it being used once to go any distance. Our bike had only a few 100 miles on the clock. I never rode it. I was waiting to go for the home office AFS test. I believe only one other member of our lot had a motor bike licence. Price we will discover, is how much it will go for. Maybe someone will want it and pay a bit more for it than a standard 1960 G3
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Barry, if you're serious about buying a good single then I'd suggest that one of the best ways would be to join the club. As a member you'll get a monthly magazine where there are usually owners selling good quality singles rather than having a gamble on e-bay (unless a trustworthy owner is doing so). For the £26 membership fee you'll probably save that and more if you look at the for-sale ads in the mag or view our web sales. As a guest you only get to view old ads as opposed to the most recent that members have access to.
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

I have no idea what a standard G3 is worth! But I do know my budget is only £3k. Looking at old ads I suspect the bidding is going to go over that, but I think I'll go see it tomorrow anyway if only to get some bike-viewing and question-asking practice.

I noticed when I looked at the AFS register that this individual bike is listed as "lost", so if I bought it I'd want to tell them it's been found and register it.

I also noticed that elsewhere on this Forum someone is looking for this exact machine (XYM 599), sorry I forget his name - so if any of you know the chap perhaps you'd better tell him it's for sale. I can't help being honest! If I'm going to be outbid let it be by someone who really really wants it...

I like the idea of buying one within the club anyway, it'll be a bike with known provenance and people to hand who know it's foibles.

I'll let you know how I get on. Either way I'll join. :D
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Here is a link to chap who was looking for it, (he was last active here more than 2 years ago and is possibly no longer a member):

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 599#p10528

Rob C
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Barry, the pictures give a good feel about the bike, if that makes sense and the description of lots of paperwork is also good...it looks nicely complete and unmolested, I'd certainly view if I was in the market for one. I own my dad's 59 16MS which is the AJS equivalent to that bike and the alternator singles are easy bikes to live with and very rideable. Good luck
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

Well I went to see it and to quiz the owner. It needs a little work but not much. The clutch springs have gone soft and the kickstart shaft seal is leaking, as you'd expect for nearly 60 year old items, but the tyres look newish and it starts easily and runs beautifully.

Long story short I'm happy it's a genuine original so I will be bidding - but I expect it to go over my meagre budget! If I do win I'll have to get lucky, and it'd be a bargain. If I win I'll have a hundred questions and if I lose I'll be back here to look for another, so I'll keep you posted either way. :beer:
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hiya Bazz,
Wfwiw, I bought XYM 670 from a family friend back in September of 2015 with around 26000 miles showing for 2100 squids.

She has been painted black but has a ton of paperwork i.e. old mot's, tax discs, original log book, service parts receipts, handbook, spare parts etc etc and the PO had owned it for at least fifteen years but without checking again the old memory may be letting me down so could be longer. He used to commute on it before retiring.

Coincidentally, the kickstart shaft seal leaked too, so replaced the bearing and seal.Also had the head off and found standard bore size. Replaced non standard leaky pushrod tube seals and all is good now although the gear lever shaft seal now leaks too! Had some issues with oil leaks from the primary chaincase and also poor lighting/battery charging but very helpful advice here has enabled me to overcome those things. Will be happy to pass on my experiences here.

Tire treads looked good but tires were dry rotted so replaced them, tubes and rim tapes too. Luckily no horrible bodges discovered anywhere as others have reported here, so count myself lucky.

Have made other changes/updates not strictly necessary but for my own satisfaction.

This was my first foray into old Brit bike ownership too and I've loved every minute of the experience so I guess my ramblings are supposed to encourage you to continue your search.

Hope to see you back here soon with the good news and asking 'how do I ......?' :)

Regards, Steve

Btw, wanted to add, bike looks v tidy hope it works out for you.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

The current owner is the 6th. He's had it 4 years and looked after it. It's garaged. There was no oil under it, just enough weeping at the kick shaft to wet a finger, but I'm guessing all the seals will need replacing soon, including fork seals, before I can use it on earnest. It started 1st kick from cold and no knocks or rattles. He said it had a charging fault when he got it which he traced to bad connections in the headlight shell. I hadn't realised these had a battery and 12v alternator, the lights were lovely and bright. The rims have some rust and the paint looks a bit sad in places, but I like that it's all original. He bought it planning to restore it (and paint it black and gold) but I think he's realised it may be worth more kept original. Sadly it doesn't still have the sidecar once fitted to it! But it does have the AFS logo on the side panels, and still has it's tyre pump. It's already up to £2383 with 3 days to go.
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

Is there anywhere I can check numbers? The V5 and the bike frame and engine nos matched OK and I've noted both numbers in case they're useful. It was first registered in 1989 which I presume is when the Home Office sold it? The current owner bought it in 2014 from a chap who'd had it in a dry heated workshop since 1996 - so it was covered in sawdust!