Advice needed on buying a 1960 G3

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Bazz55

Re: Advice needed on buying a 1960 G3

Post by Bazz55 »

:cry: Any last minute tips? Bidding ends soon. No advice on it's value?
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Well. what happened
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

Haha! Just missed it. At T -20 seconds I bid £3001 and someone else bid £3033 with 5 seconds to go! In retrospect I could have guessed their bid would end in 33 as they'd bid £2433 earlier, so maybe I should have bid 34, but hey live and learn. Quite good fun in fact.

So the next thing is signing up to this club I guess, so I can see the live ads and hopefully find a single I CAN afford - and pick your brains. One attraction of the Seaton bike was that it was reliable enough and near enough to ride it home (I'm in Taunton), but I do have a couple of mates with trailers so we'll see what comes up.
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

Actually I can see the current ads - there's a 1964 M14 CSR for £2550 and a 1962 G5 for £1995. I have no idea whether these are good prices or what I'd be taking on! The first is a 250 but that's OK, a mate had the Matchless equivalent back in the day and it was a great bike, if a little slow. And it sounds at least partially restored, but I'm not clear what "fully restored" really means or why it's needed? The 350 is unrestored so can I assume I'd need to acquire some skills before buying such? Currently I have no imperial tools for example, I gave them away in the 80s! What's actually the best way to ease oneself into this hobby/pastime/obsession?
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

I should add by the way that I'm not after a show bike, I just want one that's good enough to ride and that I can refresh my spannering skills on.
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

Thanks for the PMs Alan but apparently I'm not authorised to reply privately. I hear what you advise and I would prefer a 350 too. That '62 G5 is of interest but would I be biting off more than I could chew with it or is that just the sort of bike I could begin with?
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Hi Bazz55

Only two weeks and their is a Jampot rally in Stow on the Wold. Everything will be there to look at and loads of enthusiasts to talk to. Got to be worth the journey.
Bazz55

Post by Bazz55 »

Good idea to drop in for a day but a search of the Forum and I can't find any details? Can someone post a link to info about the Stow meet please? BTW does anyone know which Section I'd be in if I join? Can't see Somerset or even Devon or "SW" or "Wessex" - the nearest I can find on the forum is Bristol?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here's a link to the Jampot details from the main website:

http://www.jampot.com/jampotrally/

You can just turn up as a day visitor if you prefer.

I would point out that the later M14 and G5 are known as 'Lightweight' models and th'engine/gearbox doesn't have the same 'vintage' look as the G3.
'Lightweight' is merely a marketing term which was used when the design of those later bikes was 'tidied up'.
Have a look the recent thread of a couple of weeks ago in the link below where the differences were explained and with photos of the G3 and Lightweight G5:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21269
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

[quote="SPRIDDLER"]Here's a link to the Jampot details from the main website:

http://www.jampot.com/jampotrally/

You can just turn up as a day visitor if you prefer.

You do need to be a member to attend a Jampot or be a members guest so i am sure it could be sorted.
Roy