Ewarts petrol tap - size of small screw

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: Ewarts petrol tap - size of small screw

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.09_11h48m28s_003_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.09_11h47m12s_002_.png
Some taps just pull on push off, the screw just acting as a stop in the groove.
Notice in the pic, the button is pinned on, very annoying. The old taps had a screw, so easy to replace a cork. Also you could tighten up the screw a bit to compress the cork when worn, to prolong its life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hi Rob 'H' yes what your posting illustrates is similar to the one I have, my posting was actually a reply to Rob 'C' but your posting probably explains why you can buy the complete plunger as it appears difficult to replace the cork, fortunately mine do have a threaded plunger/button. kind regards
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rob

The lower of your two photos is very similar to the taps I use but the tail at the bottom of the tap body on mine is longer with an unthreaded section above the threaded section and that is where the banjo fits.

The plunger in your upper photo is what is in my taps, although as you mention, the groove for the missing screw to bear in is "L" shaped and provides a "lock on" effect.

The set screw is very small.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Much the same as Rob's photos...........
2017-08-09 Ewarts petrol tap 001 (640x425).jpg
2017-08-09 Ewarts petrol tap 002 (640x425).jpg
2017-08-09 Ewarts petrol tap 010 (640x425).jpg
No, it hasn't been at the bottom of a pond but I keep my spare taps and corks in a jar of petrol - that's ethanol for you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Some taps took a banjo with a blanking nut holding it on, same the other side except the pipe went to the float chamber, The type to take a pipe did the same thing, linking sides with a Y fitting, leaving a single pipe to go to the float chamber. Don't forget the left hand tap should not be used except when you need the reserve supply of petrol. Good idea to try it often though. Or it may get stuck and be difficult to open when you really need it.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Much the same as Rob's photos...........
2017-08-09 Ewarts petrol tap 001 (640x425).jpg
2017-08-09 Ewarts petrol tap 002 (640x425).jpg
2017-08-09 Ewarts petrol tap 010 (640x425).jpg
No, it hasn't been at the bottom of a pond but I keep my spare taps and corks in a jar of petrol - that's ethanol for you!
Yes, looks like those are to take a pipe. Note the screw, if you DIY one, length is critical, too short, it will miss the groove, too long tighten up at the bottom of the groove locking it.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just to round this off - thanks a lot.

Just posting on here (ties in with another thread) I remembered that apart from Mum leaving me the assorted taps and dies, including a set of BA taps and dies, Dad had left me a substantial quantity of assorted brass, steel and chromed steel small nuts, washers and bolts and machine screws. Using the 4BA die I found a chromed screw with the right thread and long enough to work on albeit with a cheese head but that doesn't bother me.

Using the die made sure I wouldn't accidentally wind in something with the wrong thread form (I was using a spare Ewarts body). Now that diagram will be really useful to make sure I get the length and end diameter right (although I will test the end with a spare plunger). I'm not sure why the "correct" screw is waisted below the head but I will do it with a needle file if I can, maybe only enough to take the thread off.

Thanks again.

Johnny B

PS - Yes Rob, this is going on the reserve and like you I occasionally open and close it to make sure it works. Do the same thing with the radiator valves in the house.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I cannot think why its wasted, sealing perhaps? Only 1/32" dia. Perhaps to unsure it fully tightens to a flat under the screw head, as the thread may not go right up to the flat of the head. So your thoughts of just removing the thread depth would be what is required?