Screw size, 88SA switch

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
McMaz

Screw size, 88SA switch

Post by McMaz »

Anyone know what is the correct screw size and thread for the screw that fixes the knob to the Lucas 88SA switch?
Also a (cheap!) source for the associated dished washers.

Sean
Rob Harknett

Re: Screw size, 88SA switch

Post by Rob Harknett »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... C&_sacat=0
Search e bay for all types of washers
http://www.britbikes.co.uk/replacement- ... 1265-p.asp
See here for screw and washer is £1.80 too expensive????
McMaz

Post by McMaz »

Already searched ebay for the domed washer with no joy.
Re. "is £1.80 too expensive????" - with delivery and, the £1.80 magically becomes £5.70. I'm originally from yorkshire, need I say more!
I'd much prefer to order through club spares, they stock the knob but unfortunately not the screw and washer.

Sean
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Mc-Maz wrote:Already searched ebay for the domed washer with no joy.
Re. "is £1.80 too expensive????" - with delivery and, the £1.80 magically becomes £5.70. I'm originally from yorkshire, need I say more!
I'd much prefer to order through club spares, they stock the knob but unfortunately not the screw and washer.

Sean
The postage cost of £3.90 is expensive. They should be able to post this item for about 78p second class. There are, of course, additional costs like the padded envelope and the seller having to replace items that go missing in the post. I've always found Steve Surbey's postal costs very reasonable even on low cost orders. Cheers. Bruce.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You can expect min P&P to be £2 via the club, costs are, postage, packing also staff wages costs. If you can get just one screw, then find just one cup washer, post free we would all like to know where from. You never looked far on e bay. Unless solid, a cup washer will fit one way up on flat, the other way up in a counter sunk. You have to make sure the size is correct. That you wont know until to try it in the switch knob. If its not right you've wasted your money, maybe even tried it and damaged the knob. It the washer fits you then need a screw with correct thread and counter sink head. The cheap way could prove the most expensive way. Not only that you get the correct items with correct finish, correct angle CSK, screw thread and length, minus all the agro trying find something to bodge it with. You could have already ordered the correct parts I took the trouble to find for you, only needing a few turns of a screw driver to fit when they arrived, job done with nice chrome correct parts. Please let us know the cost of various packs of washers and scews you buy, before you find something that fits.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Sean
Why not contact the club spares and see if they could buy say 20 and then keep them in stock.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mc-Maz wrote: Re. "is £1.80 too expensive????" - with delivery and, the £1.80 magically becomes £5.70. I'm originally from Yorkshire, need I say more!
No. :roll:

What if the screw and washer had been £4.50 and the P&P £1.20?
Just get the correct bits and put up with a couple of sleepless nights.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

What's your alternative if you don't buy it at that price?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

G15 Roy wrote:

Sean
Why not contact the club spares and see if they could buy say 20 and then keep them in stock.
There are quite a few dealers selling these parts. Which the club would need to compete with. Just one screw and a cup. Cost circa £2 Postage varies. With some it may not meet their min. order to include P&P. Others you pay a min. postage rate. For the club I believe it is £2. That's £4 if the club could equal the price. Now be honest have you bothered to look for these parts ? You can find a few sellers by searching Lucas 88SA switch parts. You say you could not find them on e bay, others may find them for less than the club may be able to sell for. Is £3.70p too much. To get cheaper than that you will have to pay more by buying 2.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-K ... SwIRxZeGTs
I am not looking anymore. The correct parts are out there to find. I think at a reasonable cost. I don't think the club could do better than £3.70p So would not be worth while doing, Just to be told they are too expensive.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:
What's your alternative if you don't buy it at that price?
Do a bit more leg work Janet, I just found them at £3.70p.